Sync from case sensitive to case insensitive

Problem/Question

I'm trying to sync a case sensitive directory (ext4 drive) to a case insensitive storage (Jottacloud) though crypt (without file/directory name encryption).
That's working properly but I have a lot of "Duplicate objects" because of the case sensitive to insensitive change.
I've seen the rclone dedupe command so I've tried using it to rename all duplicates unsuccessfully [rclone dedupe -P Local:/mnt -l -v --dry-run --dedupe-mode rename --local-case-sensitive] because I think that's not the intended use case.
I searched for some time about some flag to make the sync command rename the duplicates but without success. I only saw a --fix-case flag but it doesn't seem to be in the latest version i could get and it doesn't seem to target my problem.
Am I missing something or it isn't a supported behaviour in rclone sync?

Version

The command is run from a docker container using the official rclone/rclone image

rclone 1.53.3
- os/arch: linux/amd64
- go version: go1.15.5

Used command

rclone sync Local:/mnt Jotta-hds-crypt:/something/something/something -l -v --create-empty-src-dirs

Thanks in advance for any help,
Francesco

Fixing this in the source is probably the only solution here, unless you want to turn on file/directory name encryption which will solve the problem.

You are right, that isn't the way the rclone dedupe command is intended to be used.

How many duplicates by case do you think you have? You could find them like this

rclone lsf --files-only -l /mnt | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]' | sort | uniq -d
1 Like

Hi,
thanks for the answer.
The command you gave me (without --files-only because I have "duplicate" directories too) with wc -l appended found 1208 duplicates.
If rclone is not the right tool is not a big deal.
I can write a small dotnet program to rename all duplicates appending some suffix.
Thanks again
Have a nice day,
Francesco

I don't think rclone can do exactly what you want right now, but if you can write a tool to fixup then that is great!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.