Sync directly with mount active?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm trying to do something seemingly simple but somehow I cant get it to work. I'd like to use the copy command while a mount is active. My copy command works fine when there is no mount active but when the mount is active I can't run my copy script.

To be clear, I'm not çopying to the mount, I'm copying directly to my remote. This works fine when the mount is not active. I've tried several variations of my mount command line using --allow-other and --rc-addr localhost:9001 but I can't seem to find the right combination.

The most basic command line I use is rclone mount gcrypt: Q:

The error is something like this:

Error opening storage cache. Is there another rclone running on the same remote? failed to open a cache connection to ...

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

1.53.1 Windows 64 Bits

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows 10 LTSC 64 Bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google drive encrypted

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount gcrypt: Q: 

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

You can only have one cache backend running at a time.

You can either

• copy into the mount directly
  • use the underlying remote to copy to

Hmm I see. Initially I thought running a new rclone instance from another folder would work but this doesn't seem to be the case. As a workaround could I duplicate the remote1 entry as remote2 in my config and mount remote1 and copy/sync to remote2?

The cache backend is deprecated and buggy so you should not really use it.

You should migrate to the new vfs-cache-mode full.

Once updated, you can use the same remotes and there is no need to make another.

I'm making progress, it seems I am indeed using the cache backend(I'm guessing a too old setup tutorial)

I've been playing around with my rclone.conf but i can't get it to work. The gcache entry has to go but I'm struggling to see what the gcrypt entry should be. My first guess was gdrive:/crypt but that didn't work and neither did gdrive:/gdrive/crypt. Any suggestions? Below is my rclone.conf.

[gdrive]
type = drive
client_id =
client_secret =
scope = drive
token = {"access_token":"}

[gcache]
type = cache
remote = gdrive:/gdrive
plex_url = localhost:8083
plex_username =
plex_password =
chunk_size = 5M
info_age = 1d
chunk_total_size = 10G
plex_insecure = n
plex_token =

[gcrypt]
type = crypt
remote = gcache:/crypt
filename_encryption = obfuscate
directory_name_encryption = true
password =
password2 =

There must have been a typo somewhere, I started again and now it's working fine. The path needed was gdrive:/gdrive/crypt for my crypt remote.

As mentioned the reason why I started looking into this was copying/syncing to a remote directly while a mount is active and I'm happy to say this is now working without any problems. And now I understand better why not many were having this problem as any recent setup guide does not use the cache backend.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.