[solved] Using rclone obscure with --webdav-pass?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

for x (1 2 3); do echo "test" | rclone obscure - ; done
This test code generates a new hash on every loop, despite the static input. Is that by design?
Example output:

GrlpKVv_L3HFfmdX2zgrgBM2p09j
Otgy7kl_jK1GWWjkZeSiX7Z8tvat
nfHwISjQXma-ITafu0WMQFowiBIJ

What I would really like to get to work is this:

rclone --webdav-pass=`pass path/to/password | rclone obscure -` mount nc:Documents ~/Documents/nextcloud

(other parameters to rclone like --vfs-cache-mode etc omitted for clarity)
It eliminates the password in the config file in mount aliasses, shell history, etc. and also removes the need to encrypt the config only to supply a --password-command later
The command works when I supply the base64'd password from the config file directly but when executed with backticks like above and added -vv, I do get the gpg password popup and then this:

2022/09/20 19:48:46 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.53.3-DEV" starting with parameters ["rclone" "-vv" "--webdav-pass=<base64string>" "about" "nc:"]
2022/09/20 19:48:46 DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/user/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2022/09/20 19:48:46 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "nc:"
2022/09/20 19:48:50 DEBUG : 4 go routines active
2022/09/20 19:48:50 Failed to about: About call failed: about call failed: Username or password was incorrect, No 'Authorization: Bearer' header found. Either the client didn't send one, or the server is mis-configured: Sabre\DAV\Exception\NotAuthenticated: 401 Unauthorized

<base64string> has the correct length and structure compared to the password originally in rclone.conf but it changes with every call and as you see, is not accepted.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.53.3-DEV

• os/arch: linux/arm64
  • go version: go1.18

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

NextCloud (WebDAV)

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[nc]
type = webdav
url = https://full.hostname.com/remote.php/webdav/
vendor = nextcloud
user = myactualusername

I'm pretty sure this is not a bug but a lack of understanding on my part, but any help would be appreciated.

Nevermind I upgraded to 1.59.2 and it works.

Didn't realize Ubuntu 22.04 package is so far behind.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.