Slow sometimes .. help please

You typically find all this sort of info in the documentation:
https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/

Yes it is --cache-dir to set the VFS cache location.
But it is not that "too"... that is only for the VFS
The flag to set the cache backend's location is --cache-chunk-path
Confused yet? ... =P

no, i got it. but "--cache-dir" makes just no sense, since everything else starting with "cache" is only the cached-mount, right ? so it should named "--vfs-cache-dir".

anyway.. i have the strong feeling that it's worse than ever before :smiley: initial play is really, really slow
that was the reason why i deleted the "write mode". is it possible?
other than that makes no sense really or ?
boy we need some sort of speedtest with rclone

only using this now:

--buffer-size 128M \
  --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 1G \
  --vfs-cache-mode writes \
  --vfs-cache-max-size 40G \
  --cache-dir /dev/shm/

Or is it possible that the default "--vfs-read-chunk-size" of 128M + size-limit of 1G is too big for quick accessing of a file?
before the changes i had

--vfs-read-chunk-size 50M
--vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 200M

Must be one of both right? :smiley:

If you leave it at the defaults for the VFS stuff, it's quite fine.

You aren't getting a 1G chunk as you are requesting a 1G segment via 1 API call. That call is delivering you and being read the reader. It only goes up if sequential reads are going on like playing a file.

There is no real need to change/tweak it for playing stuff as it will have almost no impact.

Making it small and limiting would create an impact as that makes a lot of API calls and that definitely would slow things down.

If you are seeing slow playback, best bet is to change the log to DEBUG and share a log of your playback.

There are many factors involved in playing something back with a lot of it being on Plex.

If you change to write modes, that has no impact on playback if you are reading files. That is only used for writing a file so no correlation or impact.

If you put those 2 together, that manes you are writing to memory for 40G of files.

Well, yea, you aren't wrong... it doesn't feel very consistent.
If in doubt, check documentation :slight_smile: Probably just some artifact from early in development that is troublesome to rename now since it will break existing configs.

That shouldn't be a factor at all to files opened in read-only (such as a video stream). Write cache only gets used for files opened in write or read/write mode, so basically only on the outgoing traffic.

I am uncertain about how the VFS chunks interact with stream access to be honest. I think you might just have to try a few different values, but testing the defaults first is always advisable for most settings.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.