Slow playback and buffering while Plex is scanning library

Sure, older stuff definitely won't transcode as well. I'm not sure what your issue was in your setup as there are many moving parts in setting up Plex.

From the rclone side, things seemed good so the issue would be somewhere else imo.

It had something to do with Plex Server running on another computer than rclone, somehow.

Or just plex running on Windows, lol.

Something ChuckPA (Plex team member) and I were discussing that is both related and unrelated to this is the latency of rclone calls and Plex's database. Plex can have issues with non-local media, as we all know, and we've deduced that it simply comes down to the wait-time for data to be returned by rclone to Plex. If you've separated your rclone and Plex onto two separate servers, then I would recommend using a dedicated NIC on each for a direct ethernet connection between the two on a x.x.x.x/32 instead of having those two communicate over a /24. It'll reduce the network overhead (slightly) and decrease the latency taking all possible hops out of the route. Both servers could still be on your lan as normal but bypassing the lan for plex&rclone purposes may yield you better results while the scanner is running. Or just run the scans during maintenance hours and don't do any other automatic scanning.

It's just something you could try as a troubleshooting step.

Why would you add another step of latency by not having rclone and Plex on the same server?

Plex is a bit chatty when it comes at accessing files for playback as it opens/closes them a few times to check the file.

That normally works fine with local media, but you see the "delay" since it's cloud based and it has this bit of latency to close/open things.

It's definitely best to keep them together rather than adding more layers on top of it.

I agree with @Animosity022 completely. I run my rclone and Plex in the same VM.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.