Size difference between rclone & finder readings

After two days of backup, I’ve tested on rclone the destination size and source size it gave me the same reading of size and number of objects (392GB). When I use the mac’s finder to check the source’s size, it gives me 421GB. Any reason why this is happening?

392 GiB = 421 GB

do:
rclone check <source> <destination>
to see if they actually match

rclone uses binary based SI prefixes everywhere, so your calculation is correct.

= 394 *1.024*1.024*1.024
394 *1.024*1.024*1.024 = 423.054278656 

Note that you can use rclone size to see the size of what you uploaded. rclone check is a great idea too.

@ncw is it normal that it takes a lot of time to get the result when you execute the check command? It took more than 30 minutes and I had to cancel it, also I’ve noticed high CPU usage during this command.

Estimated size on remote? I just checked 2.8 TB. Took about 20sec

2017/01/21 15:42:30 Local file system at /home/st0rm/movies: Building file list
2017/01/21 15:42:53 Encrypted amazon drive root ‘x’: Waiting for checks to finish

@St0rm I have only 420 GB on remote and it’s taking forever, though I have a fast connection. This is command I am executing: rclone check [source] [destination]. When “waiting for checks to finish” starts, rclone CPU usage goes up.

I had to force quit rclone due to high CPU usage, slows down the whole laptop.

Yes - rclone needs to calculate the md5sum of every local file you are checking.

Add --stats 1m and every 60 seconds rclone will print what it is doing, or add -v for lots of debug output.

@ncw thanks, I’ll do that tonight. What’s the reason behind the high CPU usage though?

Calculating the md5sum takes a lot of CPU.

md5 sums dont get checked on crypt remotes (only file size comparison I guess?), which is probably why it’s so much quicker to check for some of us that use encryption

@ncw @kitty Learning a lot here on this forum, thanks a lot!