Signal for upload complete with cached mount

I'm mounting cloud storage with rclone mount --vfs-cache-mode full
How can I determine if the actual upload is complete, so it is ok to umount the cloud storage or to shutdown the computer without losing data?

I'm using rclone v1.59.1 on Manjaro Linux 21.3.7 with kernel 5.15.60-1-MANJARO (x86_64) and go 1.19
or rclone v1.59.1 on Windows 10 Pro with latest patches installed.

Thank you for pointing me to the right direction.

Regards, Norbert

Hi norbertjh,

Here is a quick copy from the bottom of this post:

I use --log-file=onedrive_mount.log --log-level=INFO --stats=1m to record the activities of the mount. This is very useful to understand, tune and troubleshoot. The current status can quickly be checked with this PowerShell command: Get-Content onedrive_mount.log -Tail 10 -Wait

The Linux commands is: tail -f onedrive_mount.log

The log shows the status including remaining uploads.

Hi Ole,

thanks a lot, this tip is exactly what I needed.
Now I can write a little tool that spawns the rclone mount, reads its output from a pipe, spawns the sync, waits for a "vfs cache: cleaned: objects 0..." line, unmounts the cloud storage and shuts the computer down.
Automated backup with "Shutdown when done" finally available.

Regards, Norbert

Hi Norbert,

You are welcome, happy to hear!

Just in case you missed it, rclone can also do a direct sync: rclone sync

Regards, Ole

Hi Ole,

in my special case there are several complications that make rclone sync a suboptimal solution.
Not the least of this complications is a very technophobic wife.

Regards, Norbert

Sounds like you made a good choice, so did your wife when she married you :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.