Sharing obfuscated files

Hi, asking this here because I don't really know how to search existing topics like this.
So the thing is, if I have obfuscated files/folders on my gdrive and I wanted to share them with someone else, is there a way he can download them deobfuscated withoud installing rclone and inserting my 'encryption keys'?

Encryption with rclone can only be decrypted with rclone so while he could download them, he would not be able to access anything unless you shared your passwords/salt with him.

ok got it, thank you for the answer :slight_smile:

The de-obfuscation code doesn't need the password exactly; it calculates a number and uses that.

So, in theory it would be possible to write a standalone program that would generate that number from your config file, and then another program that could take that number and de-obfuscate the filenames.

But you'd need to write some code to do it!

Sure that would work as well as if he wants to write a program for it, I am quite sure he would not have asked the question in the first place :slight_smile:

It's be easier to use a 3rd party encryption program rather than rclone's encryption that supports sharing.

@sweh @Animosity022 Thank you for your replies, yeah I was thinking of an external program too, but I don't have the capacities to create one :(. Is there no way I can copy the folder/file i want to share to another gdrive server side while de-obfuscating them? (using --drive-server-side-across-configs)
Probably a dumb question but I think it could be possible

I think if you use the drive flag and the new flag --crypt --server-side-across-configs I just put in the beta you can get it to work.

yes, that seems to be working. Thanks :slight_smile:
Also just one little thing, the flag is --crypt-server-side-across-configs, you probably just just mistyped (for anyone reading this)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.