Searching for a dynamically writeable archive/container format useable with rclone mount

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I am currently planning to upload a backup of my Smartphone photos and videos to a Google Drive Business acc with rclone and a crypt remote. Due rather slow google api only being able to slowly create new files, I planned to pack them all into 1 big archive that I initally pack on my local setup and upload it. I then want to be able to write new files into it via a mount, when I made new photos I want to sync. ISOs wont work because they are read only after being created and therefore I wont be able to extend them with new files. I also tried packing images into a 7z archive as you write to them even after they were created. However, if I want to copy new files into a test archive I uploaded, 7Zip wants to to replicate the whole archive, resulting in a full redownload and reupload, which isnt my goal. It's not a problem with rclone, but I hope you can help me finding a rclone cloud mount-friendly archive format that allows me to write files to it that doesnt need full replication but only extends the archive with the amount of files I upload. Maybe someone already has experience with that topic.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.56.0

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone.exe mount gdrive:/ x: --buffer-size 256M --vfs-cache-mode writes --attr-timeout 8700h --dir-cache-time 8760h --poll-interval 10s

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

Don't think Log and config are necessary for my Help Request. If you need them, let me know.

Thank you all very much in advance!

hello and welcome to the forum,

so you want to add/append new files to an existing update but not delete files inside the .7z

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Yes, I want to only add files to an archive. I wouldn't mind if deleting files inside the archive is not possible. I just want to add new fotos and videos to the archive in the cloud, without rebuilding the whole archive. If I can achieve this with another format other than 7z I wouldnt mind, as long as its not hyper exotic :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.