RPI serving rclone-mounted music through NFS to another Pi (RuneAudio)

I guess just scans filenames and metadata, but I don't really mind being slow since I'll have to do it only once, well and when I add new music but it won't be the whole library again

there is a way to speed that process.
it is called priming.

is priming some flag to add or what is it?
I've already created the .sh file to run it #!/bin/bash /etc/rclone/rclone mount maxsuitecrypto:V/Music /mnt/MPD/LocStorage/Music --allow-other I'll take a look into systemd and cron

I use contab -e to schedule things in ubuntu, I guess it's related

not sure it will help, as the meta data is part of the file, so rclone has to download that for every single file in the remote.
as i suggested, you should use https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/#vfs-cache-mode-full

adding that flag :slight_smile: well I have everything what I was looking for and much more, because this solution is much better than my clumsy initial idea of using two PIs, thanks for your patience dealing with noobs

I meant I use crontab -e

glad it worked..

Hey! sorry to bother you again, I promise it'll be the last time.
On that day when I could install rclone, I left it scanning 24h and it had scanned half of my music collection, the worst part is that in trying to add the mounting service in systemd (cron wasn't installed in RuneAudio?) I messed up things and had to reinstall RuneAudio and start from scratch. Somehow the mounting service was preventing the rest of the essential services to start and I hadn't internet on the pi, so no ssh access either.
Anyway all that is solved now and I could successfully add the service to systemd and make it work, I'd like you to take a look at it, because I'm not sure if it could be done better:

1 [Unit]
2 Description=Mount rclone
3 After=multi-user.target
5 [Service]
6 Type=forking
7 ExecStart=/usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/mount.sh
8 TimeoutSec=0
9 Restart=always
10 RestartSec=1
12 [Install]
13 WantedBy=multi-user.target

And most importantly, since it's still taking very long to scan, could you please tell me what should I add/remove/change in my mounting script? it takes around 2sec per song to scan whether it's mp3 or flac. RuneAudio is installed in a RPI3b+. I've read all I could before asking, but I can't make it work better. I have no interest in writing access, just scan, read and play flacs. Btw with this mount playback is pretty good, just scanning is a pain.

#!/bin/bash
/etc/rclone/rclone mount maxsuitecrypto:V/Music /mnt/MPD/LocalStorage/Music --daemon --allow-other --read-only --no-checksum --no-modtime --fast-list --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-read-chunk-size 16M --dir-cache-time 72h --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 100M --buffer-size 16M --log-level ERROR

Thanks!

hi,

for systemd, https://github.com/rclone/rclone/wiki/Systemd-rclone-mount

about the mount command, be sure you need all those flags.
--fast-list does nothng on a mount.

try
/etc/rclone/rclone mount maxsuitecrypto:V/Music /mnt/MPD/LocalStorage/Music --daemon --allow-other --read-only --no-checksum --no-modtime --vfs-cache-mode full --dir-cache-time 72h --log-level ERROR

about scanning, it depends on what runeaudio does when it scans each file.
if it is just filename, filesize, etc, then the scan should go quick.
if it reads some of the data of each file, that would be much slower.
i know nothig about runeaudio and how it performs.
and i find my pi units are slow in strange ways.

to speed to the scan, you can try to prime the cache.
this is a good post to read Slow scans after library expanded
my friend, @VBB has a very simple set of scripts.
one script for read only mount.
one script to prime the mount.

2 Likes

I'll remove those extra flags as you suggested and read those post. Now that I think of it, since it's an audio player it surely has to read tags for each file, so it may be there's no way to speed scanning up. For the very little I've found for prime (not sure what does it mean), I have to add that command one line below the mount command like so:

/etc/rclone/rclone mount maxsuitecrypto:V/Music /mnt/MPD/LocalStorage/Music --daemon --allow-other --read-only --no-checksum --no-modtime --vfs-cache-mode full --dir-cache-time 72h --log-level ERROR
sleep 1m
/etc/rclone/rclone rc vfs/refresh recursive=true --fast-list -v

?
Like I said, I'll read more about that this evening, thanks!

i could be wrong but if i remember correctly, as told to me by @VBB, that flag does nothing on a vfs/refresh.
maybe he will stop by and confirm.

That is my understanding, yes. I believe @ncw confirmed this at some point.

That is correct --fast-list doesn't do anything on a mount. It will be used automatically where available and appropriate (eg in recursive vfs/refresh).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.