Reorganize folders in cloud-storage and then...uuups?

Today was late spring cleaning on GDrive, i.e. the folder hierarchy was cleaned up, reduced to fewer folders, then many other folders and backup files were pushed into them.

The clarity in the cloud is back, but: rclone suddenly finds only a few encrypted backups.

Was the reorganization a mistake or can you straighten it out again in rclone?

1. you need to find the the top level folder were the encrypted files are.
  2. rclone config edit and change the remote path to that top level folder.

you have not really supplied any useful information, so we really cannot help much

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste command here

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

Using the latest rclone under Win10 64bit (same with WinServer19).

The problem is that rclone on GDrive does not recognize the new folder and - although the names already exist - creates them with the same name. According to GDrive-client, the folder "backups" becomes the new folder "backups (1)", in the browser there are two folders with the same name "backups". The following message appears before the rclone-backup is to be made in the "backups" folder:

C:\Users\Administrator>rclone ls GDrive_enc:backups -vvvv
2020/07/26 14:55:40 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.52.0" starting with parameters ["rclone" "ls" "GDrive_enc:backups" "-vvvv"]
2020/07/26 14:55:40 DEBUG : Using config file from "C:\Users\Administrator\.config\rclone\rclone.conf"
2020/07/26 14:55:41 DEBUG : 6 go routines active
2020/07/26 14:55:41 Failed to ls: directory not found

• you are not using the latest version, but not really relavant to your problem.
  • what is the folder in gdrive that contains the top-level folder of encrypted files?

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

first folder with encrypted files in GDrive is: backups/veeam (and there are still a number of subfolders that also contain data encrypted with rclone).

here is what i suggested up above

and for it is worth, i use veeam, it can encypt its own files.
and the reason i do not use crypt for veeam vib.vbk files with rclone is this
https://rclone.org/crypt/#modified-time-and-hashes
"Hashes are not stored for crypt"

• i need the files to have a hash.
  • these are backup files, not just media files, so i do not want rclone to modify the backup files by a second encryption and perhaps corrupt the files. and find out a year later, when i need to recover from a disaster, that the backups files are corrupted.

I'm such a fool :slight_smile:

I manually wrote the folder name from GDrive in rclone.conf as folder_id, which was wrong.

The last section of the respective URL must be written there, as I could have read in the howto (https://rclone.org/drive/#:~:text=Root%20folder%20ID,correct%20root%20to%20use%20itself .):

"So if the folder you want rclone to use has a URL which looks like https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XyfxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxKHCh in the browser, then you use 1XyfxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxKHCh as the root_folder_id in the config"

Now all files are found again by rclone.

Thanks to asdffdsa for the quick answers.

glad i could help solve your problem.

you are wise man.

simpleton: makes a mistake, does not know he made a mistake.
fool: makes a mistake, knows he made a mistake but does not learn from the mistake.
wise man: makes a mistake, knows he made a mistake, learns from his mistake.
sage: does not make mistakes as he learns from the mistake of others.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.