Regarding VFS - is it downloading if not used?

Hi guys

I was just wondering - I had a user who started a movie, then quit the movie, in HTOP I can see that the file that was streamed is still being handled/transcoded ?

Does VFS download the entire file pr stream? If a user keeps restarting , because he might have a problem. Lets say he tries to start the movie 3-4 times… will it then open up a session pr stream and start downloading?

Thanks

Morphy

What software are you using for streaming?

To me it appears that the software didn’t close the file properly or with other words rclone wasn’t notified that the stream was closed by the streaming software.

Just my 2 cents!

Hi neik.

Using plexmediaserver .

Assuming your direct streaming or transcoding (not direct playing), Plex would buffer as much as is defined here in the transcoder settings:

Once the person hit stop, it would work through cleaning up the transocde and removing it.

If they hit start stop 3-4 times, you’d get probably just the buffer downloaded each time and not the whole file as it’s only grabbing ‘chunks’ of the file.

Ahhh then its makes sence :slight_smile:

Thanks

Oh I have a minor question . If the rclone mount disconnects - what happends to my library if it rescan and see that the path to the files are empty? Will I lose my covers and etc if I empty trash?

I had “Empty trash automatically after every scan” enabled when running Plexdrive .

Can I enable it or should I leave it disabled?

Even on plexdrive, I have empty trash after scan off.

If you lose your plexdrive or rclone and a scan happens, it deletes all your media.

Since i upgrade and replace media here and there, I use:

It allows me to delete after a scan and I can set a threshold so say if more than 50, don’t do it.

For me, that works with:

That I use to only keep so many of daily shows like Saturday Night Live or “The Daily Show”.

Cool thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Disabling it ( Never lost connection though with Plexdrive - Server has been running for aprox 1 year now :slight_smile: with restarts etc.

Gonna look into the plex_autoscan . Dont use sonarr :slight_smile:

I usually say at work “Luck is not a good strategy”.

My internet and items have been rock solid, but a single outage with a drive dropping will result in a few days of rescanning so just not worth it. I haven’t had that particular issue pop either but if it does, it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Hehe well you´re right :slight_smile:

I will lay my trust to Hetzner. Anyways … rebuild fuck it :wink: hehe

The git says:

“In addition to the above, Plex Autoscan can also monitor Google Drive for updates. When a new file is detected, it is checked against the Plex database and if this file is missing, a new scan request is sent to Plex”

So it should work without Sonarr/Radarr right? Has anyone tested this out? Would the monitoring by this script tax the CPU less than regular scans by Plex? That sounds promising.

Sure it works without but you need to trigger a way to do the scan differently. I think there might be something on his github or you can post an issue there.