Recommended Mount Settings

Thank you
What chunk size should it be?
I'm using it to mount and play movies on Plex

I personally wouldn't use the cache backend at all, but if you want to, set it to something like 64M.

i'll take your advice and not use a cached backend then. so basically remove all those you told me to remove but keep the 8G buffer?

A 8GB file uses 8GB per file opened, that would use quite the memory and not give much benefit. You can use something like 1G if you really want and have the memory to spare.

ok 1G it is. The chunk size you referenced before is purely if i'm using a cached backend? Because my [drive] doesnt have a chunk size in the rclone.conf

My mount is mainly using all defaults minus the dir-cache-time:

felix      778     1  1 Jul11 ?        00:30:19 /usr/bin/rclone mount gcrypt: /GD --allow-other --buffer-size 1G --dir-cache-time 96h --log-level INFO --log-file /opt/rclone/logs/rclone.log --timeout 1h --umask 002 --rc

ok thank you, i really appreciate it

ok... so your leave pretty much everything at the defaults now... cept dir cache time?
and you don't get any bans from scanning a large library?

i thought you really needed to set vfs chunk size etc to avoid the bans?

ps- any tips/experience in importing a large music library from gdrive.... mine looks like its gonna take weeks hahaha.... tried experimenting with chunk size buffer size etc... but didnt seem to have that much of an effect.... any tips (not for throughput/speed but for an initial scan of a gazillion music files..)

1 Like

yeah i thought caching was to prevent api bans and i have a huge library. apparently caching is depreciated?

yeah also my flac music library takes like 2 hours to add 30 artists

All the 'chunked' reading options are default with a version from greater than mid 2018 so nothing to worry about in tems of hitting quota limits.

I'm sitting pretty comfortable with a pretty good size library:

rclone a[felix@gemini ~]$ rclone about GD:
Used:    70.979T
Trashed: 57.823G
Other:   129.377M

Music is a bit rough on Plex as it really opens and closes the files quite a lot. The cache backend is a good fit for that based on how Plex and Music works.

I'd go with a smaller chunk size and see how it does.

1 Like
rclone about /mnt/drive
Total:   1P
Used:    15.989T
Free:    1P

So you're recommending cache for us if we have a large music library and to use a small chunk size?
What chunk size should we use?

this ok?

/usr/bin/rclone mount cache: /mnt/drive --allow-other --buffer-size 0M --dir-cache-time 96h --log-level INFO --log-file /opt/rclone/logs/rclone.log --timeout 1h --umask 002 --rc
[drive]
type = drive
client_id = *protected*
client_secret = *protected*
scope = drive
token = *protected*

[cache]
type = cache
remote = drive:
chunk_size = 16M
info_age = 2d
chunk_total_size = 10G

You'd want to rclone about on a remote, not a mount point as it doesn't quite show the right stuff.

I'd probably say something like 16M or even 8M and give it a test. I don't use Plex for music myself so I'm going by what I've seen in the logs and the normal size for music files.

I'd turn off the plex integration as that makes scanning and things super slow as that only uses 1 worker for scans.

You can make buffer-size 0M as the cache backend does its own thing for memory and buffer.

i'm not sure what You'd want to rclone about on a remote, not a mount point as it doesn't quite show the right stuff. means

so

[cache]
type = cache
remote = drive:
chunk_size = 16M
info_age = 2d
chunk_total_size = 10G

and /usr/bin/rclone mount cache: /mnt/drive --allow-other --buffer-size 0M --dir-cache-time 96h --log-level INFO --log-file /opt/rclone/logs/rclone.log --timeout 1h --umask 002 --rc?

You don't want to use rclone about on a mount point, you use it remote.

[felix@gemini ~]$ rclone about /GD
Total:   1P
Used:    0
Free:    1P
[felix@gemini ~]$ rclone about GD:
Used:    70.979T
Trashed: 65.146G
Other:   129.377M

ok thanks
is the above setup i posted ok?

rclone about drive:
Used: 15.989T