Recommended Dropbox (Formally Google Drive) and Plex Mount Settings

Thanks! I think I got it working. Just manually ran it now and everything seems to be going ok. I'm not sure what variable in your script has it display the status of the transfers, but that's definitely an advantage over my old script. With that one I just had to wait it out to see if it worked.

Hey Animosity!
I've been using a copy of your setup for a couple of months now, and it works pretty much flawlessly.
I noticed though (unless I'm mistaken) that you've removed the 32M chunk size, and added 1G buffer.
Can I ask what this is for / why it is better? I just use rclone to mount GDrive for plex only... I use another computer / stuff to upload. My current setup is --allow-other, --dir-cache-time 96h, drive-chunk-size 32M, --timeout 1H.

I don’t write to my mount so it was somewhat irrelevant for me. I upped the buffer as I have a ton of spare memory on my server and ATV is direct playing a lot more so figured I’d use the memory.

Does the 1G buffer cause longer load times, or do videos start before the buffer is filled?
Thanks for replying!

Does not impact start times.

1 Like

Thank you for your help Animosity!

1 Like

I think I might be having these buffer issues as well. However, I am running an older version of mergerfs (mergerfs version: 2.21.0). Any idea where/how I can upgrade this to that 2.25.0 version you guys are using?

Don't think there was an issue with 2.21. Latest is 2.28:

Hi, do you config the drive in Rclone as full access or read only? I assume read only should be fine since you are using the script to sync changes?

Full access so I can delete things and upgrade them via Sonarr/Radarr.

I'd suggest a new post as that question is not related to my settings at all.

Firstly, great guide. This is a really smart way to put this all together!

I'm having an issue where other users such as radarr can't write to the merged directory, they can read fine however.
I've set the allow_others flag in all the mounts and changed the fuse config to allow it.
The permissions for the directories within my merged movies directories have differing permissions depending on if they were sourced from the rclone mount or the local storage as below where rclone is the user running the GD mount:

drwxrwxr-x 1 rclone rclone 0 Jul 7 20:59 Green Book (2018)
drwxrwxrwx+ 2 radarr radarr 4096 Jul 10 13:52 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)

When I write to the merged mount as the rclone user, no issues. I get a permission denied for any other user.
I've tried using setfacl which failed, as I thought mergerfs it is meant to be POSIX compliant. I might be missing something else there.

My rclone mount service is the exact same as yours with only directory names changed.
My mergerfs command is as below:

mergerfs /localmedia:/GD/ /merged -o rw,sync_read,allow_other,category.action=all,category.create=ff

Any ideas what might I might have missed or can I provide anything else to help get to the source of the issue?

It's the permissions of the files underneath.

You need to either do something big like making them all chmod -R 777 or make a group that's shared and use group permissions.

I personally take a fairly lazy approach and run Sonarr/Radarr/Ombi/Plex all as the same user to avoid any permissions and it keeps thing simple.

1 Like

Yeah that's not a problem for me in that directory.
One last piece of knowledge I'm lacking, how does this setup force the writes to the local storage in that case?

The MergerFS mount is set to FF and the gdrive crypt isn't mounted read-only, will it always use the first directoy in the MergerFS mount command?

Based on the data you shared, that was the problem as you can see from:

The write permissions are missing on the first folder for other.

Yes, that's documented on my github as:

category.action=all,category.create=ff in the merrgerfs as I use first found meaning the first directory listed is always written to first. The policies for mergerfs arer documented here:

Apologies, I meant it's not a problem for me to make a big change to the permissions in that directory!

I had seen the different policies, though I hadn't quite grasped exactly what the definition of FF meant.

I appreciate the prompt replies!

I had buffer issues as well:

Hetzner server location at that point was in Finland. I made a topic in here without any solution .

I newly bought a new server in Hetzner Germany, and then my problems was solved:

Running with :

mergerfs version: 2.28.1
FUSE library version: 2.9.7-mergerfs_2.28.0
fusermount version: 2.9.4
using FUSE kernel interface version 7.29

Damnit problems still persist. Its only when streaming content from gdrive / merger directories.

If I stream from a local folder which has nothing linked to mergerfs, i have no issues.

I'd probably make a new post and share your settings as "it doesn't work" really adds nothing to this thread and it's related to questions on my settings.

Hi Ani.

You are right, i didnt reply to the issue further up .

I saw that you had issue as well and another user posted regarding mergerfs 2.25 solved the buffering problem. :slight_smile: