Recommendations for ACD->GSuite/Other transfers

Dashboard > Compute Engine > Quotes was where I made my request: https://console.cloud.google.com/compute/quotas

@alneven, this is the set of instructions I followed: https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/disks/add-persistent-disk#formatting.

I managed to change from rclone “crypt” to encfs during acd to gdrive conversion via google compute. If anyone is interested, just let me know.

i have ~20TB crypt files (rclone) on ACD and want to move this to gdrive without encryptions :slight_smile: can you help me?

Hi gnb,

Can you comment on how much that GCloud instance is costing you?

Cheers,

Durval.

look here:

1 Like

are you sure? without any encryption google knows exactly what you upload to them. therefore i recommend encfs.
if you do not need any encryption at all, its fine too.

how are you planning on moving to gdrive?

As a new user, one gets $300 in credit and my instance is estimated at $50 a month so don’t expect it to cost me anything (I’ll shut the instance down and delete once the transfer is done).

how are you planning on doing the transfer?

Can you comment on how/why encfs is better than rclone’s crypt?

since unlimited is not always quite unlimited, i like to be independent of rclone’s crypt. I am still using rclone to upload the data though.

In my opinion it is just a matter of time i have to switch to another unlimited cloud again. e.g. google bans “unlimited”.

using encfs allows me to switch to any cloud I please, without having rclone to support it (yeah i know i could mount it locally via rclone, but where is the point).

Also rclone with 8 simultaneous transfer seems to hog quite some CPU resources, which encfs seems to handle them with way less resources.

rclone crypt is quite under construction, see issues/discussion on github. until this is finalized i feel safer using AES 256.

Why now? Since I have to migrate now, I may also change to crypto on the way. :slight_smile:

Can you describe how you approached this without duplicating data on GCE?

Only thing comes to mind is making an rclone mount for GDrive that backs encfs and then rclone sync from the local crypted copy?

change encryption during ACD to GDRIVE transfer

1. download all rclone-encrypted data to GCE hdd.
  2. create new remote encrypt/decrypt and set “remote:” to the path of your odrive download directory. use the same password/settings as for acd crypt. name it DECRYPT
  3. use rclone mount to mount it via:

rclone mount DECRYPT: /mnt/decrypted

/mnt/decrypted now shows the plain data!
4. use enfs in reverse crypto mode to show data in encfs encrypted form:

encfs --reverse /mnt/decrypted /mnt/encrypted

/mnt/encrypted now shows the data encrypted via encfs
5. use rclone sync to sync encfs encrypted data to gdrive:

rclone sync /mnt/encrypted GDRIVE:

Once transfer is finished. Mount an destination without encryption remote via rclone. e.g. to /mnt/gdrive-encrypted.
Then use encfs to mount it plain:

encfs /mnt/gdrive-encrypted /mnt/gdrive

/mnt/gdrive now shows the plain data.

Ah, that was the bit I was missing, thanks :slight_smile:

When you Register at google Cloud computing He ask me for a company Name. Did you lie?

I have a company. So…

i can not start the agent

root@vpsxxx:~# nohup “$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odriveagent” > /dev/null 2>&1 &
[1] 1218

i try this

root@vpsxxx:~# nohup “$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odriveagent”
nohup: ignoring input and appending output to ‘nohup.out’
nohup: failed to run command ‘/root/.odrive-agent/bin/odriveagent’: No such file or directory
[1]+ Exit 127 nohup “$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odriveagent” > /dev/null 2>&1

is step 2 from the install guide on odrive

Is this a 64bit vps? If so switch to the 64bit tab in the odrive command tab.
if that’s not it what is the content of your /root/.odrive-agent/bin directory?

yeah i test this on my vps ubuntu 16.04 lts x64 and i try with the 64bit tab too. In this directory i have 3 files:

• odrive
  • odrive.py
  • odriveagent

i have the same issues on the google compute!

try chmod +x on the odriveagent file. if this does not help:

sudo apt-get install strace
strace -f -s 99 $HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odriveagent
post the log to pastebin and the link here