[Solved] Rearranging backups in remote storage

I’m thinking of rearranging my backups in remote storage (dropbox). Today I have this structure:

\ backup_folder_1
\ backup_folder_2
\ backup_folder_3
\ ....

And I want to change to:

\ Rclone_backups
     | - backup_folder_1
     | - backup_folder_2
     | - backup_folder_3
     | - backup ....

They are encrypted backups (.bin files).

As far as I know, I can not directly edit the .conf file (which is also encrypted, I would decrypt, make the change and re-encrypt) and add the additional path (Rclone_backups) directly, as I will have problems with the encryption keys, right? Or can I edit directly? What is the best way to make this change?

You can use rclone config to edit the config file - it is a little long winded but it can edit all the parts of the config file. Or you can decrypt it (using rclone config again), edit in a text editor and re-encrypt (with rclone config).

Assuming you’ve used the same encryption key for all the directories then you should be able to shuffle the data about without re-encrypting it.

Ok. My config file looks like this:

[Dropbox]
type = dropbox
app_key = 
app_secret = 
token = {"access_token":ioioioioioi

[Dropbox_encrypted]
type = crypt
remote = Dropbox:backup_encrypted
filename_encryption = off
password = ioioioioioio
password2 = ioioioioiooio

That is, I have the “backup encrypted” folder in my Dropbox root, where are the encrypted Rclone backups.

If I make the change I described in the post above, would this be the format the file should be?

[Dropbox]
type = dropbox
app_key = 
app_secret = 
token = {"access_token":ioioioioioi

[Dropbox_encrypted]
type = crypt
remote = Dropbox:Rclone_backups\backup_encrypted
filename_encryption = off
password = ioioioioioio
password2 = ioioioioiooio

And to run the sync jobs, instead of using:

rclone sync local_folder  Dropbox:remote_folder1    (for unencrypted backups)
and
rclone sync local_folder  Dropbox_encrypted:remote_folder2       (for encrypted backups

I would use:

rclone sync local_folder  Dropbox:Rclone_backups\remote_folder1
and
rclone sync local_folder  Dropbox_encrypted:remote_folder2       (remains with the same syntax)

P.S.: Off-topic: I don’t know why some parts of my posts get red … I don’t know the Markdown syntax of this option …

Yes I think that will do what you want it to do :slight_smile:

I think your post is being interpreted as code of some kind, and you didn’t close the " after access_token so it is colouring everything as if it was a quoted string.

I managed to do it easily, by creating a new “copied” session in conf file, with a new encrypted storage.

[Dropbox]
type = dropbox

[Dropbox_encrypted]
type = crypt
remote = Dropbox:backup_encrypted

[Dropbox_encrypted_new]
type = crypt
remote = Dropbox:Rclone_backups\backup_encrypted

I’m moving (rclone move) my backup folders to this new one, one at a time, and gradually changing my backup jobs parameters.

This way, I don’t need to stop my backups until all folders are moved. Some backups are made to the old one and others - increasiling - to the new storage.

1 Like