Really poor performance on mount. Any ideas?

I am currently setting up a Windows machine that I plan on using for photography. I tried using most of my mount from my Ubuntu server as I have pretty good results. This is what I ended up with:

.\rclone mount Photography: M: --allow-other --config=C:\Users\mattl\.config\rclone\rclone.conf --dir-cache-time 72h --buffer-size 1G --drive-chunk-size 32M --timeout 1h --vfs-read-chunk-size 64M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off --vfs-cache-mode full --log-level DEBUG --log-file c:\utilities\temp.log

It seems to be performing really poorly. I figured since it will place a file locally and then upload it that it would have ok response time. I can right click > new folder and it will take 3 seconds for the folder to render. Using it for any applications seems to break as the files

here are the logs:

https://pastebin.com/SYEw6GXw

So I took most of the same mount command that I use for my Plex Server - Ubuntu.

This seems to work great for plex. I am able to play some of the lower 4k bitrate using this ubuntu mount.

[Unit]
Description=rclone cache
After=network-online.target
Wants=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount plexcache: /home/plex/gdrive/plexcache \
   --allow-other \
   --dir-cache-time 72h \
   --buffer-size 1G \
   --drive-chunk-size 32M \
   --timeout 1h \
   --rc \
   --vfs-read-chunk-size 64M \
   --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off \
   --umask 002 \
   --bind 192.168.2.120 \
   --log-level INFO \
   --log-file /home/plex/gdrive/utilities/logs/rclone.log
ExecStop=/bin/fusermount -uz /home/plex/gdrive/plexcache
Restart=on-abort
User=plex
Group=plex

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

what version of rclone are you using, be sure to update to v1.51.0.
what version of winfsp are you using, be sure to update to 1.6.
then test again.

i would suggest that you simplify the mount command as much as possible, then add flags one by one, if needed.

when i use mount, my command is very simple.
rclone mount remote x: --vfs-cache-mode=minimal

with that simple command, i can copy files using windows explorer, fastcopy, secondcopy, double commander and use programs like wiztree.

in addition, see this post, where i copy the handbrake program to the x: and RUN handbrake.exe on x:, not c:
the point is that the mount command can be very simple, few flags, yet very powerfull.

I am using 1.51 and 1.6. this was a brand new install. What should my vfs mode be set to if I want to use it like normal file explorer?

it depends on why you want to use a mount?
do you want to copy files?
do you want to open and edit files on the mount?
do you want to plex?

for normal explorer

rclone mount remote: x:

Open and edit on this box. And maybe copy.

My plan is to use this mount for photo storage and editing.

This mount is not for plex. The box has 12GB of ram and a server processor.

do you plan to edit files that are stored on x:?

That is the plan anyway....

start with
rclone mount Photography: m: --vfs-cache-mode=writes
and try to edit a photo file.

what software(s) do you plan to use to edit the photos?

Lightroom, Photoshop, Luminar, Aurora HDR..... Those types of apps... And thank you btw, I really appreciate it.

I guess I don't understand the difference between writes and full? I thought full just gave it more access to cache.

you can read more about it here.
https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/

you are going to have to testing, try writes and try full
keep adding flags until you get the behaviour you want.
i would imagine editing photos is a lot of random reads and writes.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lu_en/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html
Adobe Technical Support only supports using Photoshop and Adobe Bridge on a local hard disk. It's difficult to re-create or accurately identify network- and peripheral-configuration problems.

why not edit the photos locally and then use rclone sync?

Unfortunately it's a remote machine. Powerful but remote. So it doesn't have access to a lot of storage to have the data locally.

you are going to have to try and test and tweak.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.