Rclone webui job stats and proper backup strategy

Hi,

I'm new to reclone and in the process of backing up my local NAS's contents to Google Drive.

I have installed a docker container of the latest rclone and the first copy is running now. However, I have noticed in the WebUI that the job stats are not being updated. I triggered the current copy via the command line (docker exec -it rclone copy.sh) if this makes a difference? Is there a way to fix this or is there another recommended web based solution for monitoring progress?

Secondly, I was thinking of scheduling a daily copy and then a sync every 30 days. The reason for this is because I don't want deletions to be immediately synced just in case something gets removed by accident. Is this a sensible way to address this or are there other recommendations for how to handle this? (maybe retain a rolling 30 day copy of deleted files)?

Any help would be very appreciated!

If you are looking for a backup script, see: https://github.com/wolfv6/rclone_jobber

Can't help you with the other, but I think you need to start the "rc" and then issue commands to that to see what's happening in the webgui

@nle thanks for the reply.

I did look at rclone_jobber but it seems to be a little different. I am not looking to have multiple backups. A simple copy is OK with the exception that it would be nice to retain deleted files for a certain extra period of time in case they were deleted accidentally. I think this is possible by doing a daily copy and then a sync at lesser frequency to remove deletions from the cloud copy. It's not perfect as it would be better to maintain a rolling last X days of deletions but it's decent enough.

Thanks for the tip on the rclone rc method for calling remotely. It seems to be working. Am wondering how I can add monitoring to it to make sure it works as expected because the webui only shows current stats.

hello and welcome to the forum,

i do a sync every day.
i have a set rolling deletions, a subfolder for each day for changed/deleted files.
https://rclone.org/docs/#backup-dir-dir

dt=`date +%Y%m%d.%I%M%S`
source=/path/to/local/folder
dest=remote:/data/current
backupdir=remote:/data/archive/$dt
rclone sync $source $dest --backup-dir=$backupdir -vv --dry-run

Thanks @asdffdsa This almost exactly what is needed. Just to clarify:

1. This does not manage the rolling deletions. If I want to retain today - 28 days then I need to manually go in and remove the directories older than that?
  2. This moves deletions and updates. Is there a way to keep updates in place and do it only for deletions?

hi,

it should be easy to write a script using folder names based on $backupdir`

not sure exactly what you mean?

that script does the following
if source file is changed and there is a existing copy in dest
then

1. move existing copy from dest to backupdir
  2. copy source file to dest.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.