Rclone seems not able so see 'Backup' area in MEGA [CLOSED]

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I've subscirbed to MEGA 400GB plan. If I'm able to connect to my 'Backup' area via GUI I'm unable to access to Backup area of MEGA via rclone: seems that any command I run, rclone accesses only the 'Cloud' bidir sync area.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

$ rclone version
rclone v1.62.2

• os/version: darwin 13.3 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 22.4.0 (arm64)
  • os/type: darwin
  • os/arch: arm64 (ARMv8 compatible)
  • go/version: go1.20.2
  • go/linking: dynamic
  • go/tags: none
Yes latest version

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

MEGA

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone ls MEGA:Backup
2023/03/31 11:06:48 ERROR : : error listing: directory not found
2023/03/31 11:06:48 Failed to ls with 2 errors: last error was: directory not found

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[MEGA]
type = mega
pass = ######################
user = joe@joe.vr.it

A log from the command with the -vv flag

$ rclone -vv ls MEGA:Backup
2023/03/31 11:13:14 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.62.2" starting with parameters ["rclone" "-vv" "ls" "MEGA:Backup"]
2023/03/31 11:13:14 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "MEGA:Backup"
2023/03/31 11:13:14 DEBUG : Using config file from "/Users/username/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2023/03/31 11:13:25 ERROR : : error listing: directory not found
2023/03/31 11:13:25 DEBUG : 9 go routines active
2023/03/31 11:13:25 Failed to ls with 2 errors: last error was: directory not found

Pretty sure that's who it works as there is no Mega API.

Mega (rclone.org)

Tnx for you fast reply, but I wonder why does everything else work? That is, if I work with 'bidirectional synchronized' folders, rclone works fine. It's only with the backup area that it's giving me these problems.

JC

This backend uses the go-mega go library which is an opensource go library implementing the Mega API. There doesn't appear to be any documentation for the mega protocol beyond the mega C++ SDK source code so there are likely quite a few errors still remaining in this library.

So basically, for development, you have to guess how to do things since it's not documented and if you want to implement a new like 'backup' that isn't there, feel free to decompile and submit a PR to add it in :slight_smile:

I didn't understand what you were referring to, sorry.

I had seen that page myself so much that I initially decided to leave it alone, but... but... one of the various AIs suggested something like

rclone lsd MEGA:/Root/Backups

I thought then that if it has this knowledge, it must have read it somewhere on the net. Hence the decision to try to ask in the forum.

Among other things, I saw a post where someone configured the MEGA service as 'crypt' and not as 'mega' using very different parameters. This is also why I decided to ask: I said to myself "there will be information that I haven't been able to find on the net... Better if I search for help..."

JC

If you run

rclone ls MEGA:

That'll show you what rclone can see. If there is a 'backup', you can use it. If not, you cannot.

If you want to use crypt, crypt lays on top of a remote and requires additional configuration.

That's explained here -> Crypt

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.