Rclone - OneDrive Sync Setup

I have successfully installed Rclone, and can mount my OneDrive cloud storage at ~/OneDrive.

I would now like to sync local files with my OneDrive cloud storage, but don't understand how to do this. Do I simply move local files into my ~/OneDrive directory?

Also, is it possible to mirror local, and cloud files? I would like to end up with a local copy of all OneDrive files, and keep everything in sync (with local and cloud changes).

Thank you in advance.

Rclone version v1.50.2
Linux Mint 20.2, 64 bit
Microsoft OneDrive

I think you missed the whole template as you have an old version of rclone so you'd want to update that.

The mount stays in sync but does depend a bit on your mount command to reflect changes so it's hard to give feedback since we don't know what you are running.

Thank you for the reply.

I am sorry, but I do not understand what you are saying here

I would like to sync all files, and have a copy of the files on my laptop for offline use. Also, how do I update rclone?

Thank you again :slight_smile:

There was a template:

That you deleted and did not use.

That's also written in the template you deleted :frowning:

The mount keeps things in sync, but again, I do not know what you are running so it's hard to answer.

My apologies, I am new to rclone :slight_smile:

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.50.2

• os/arch: linux/amd64
  • go version: go1.13.6

I do not understand how to update to the latest version on Linux Mint. Should I run the script on the Downloads page?

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Linux Mint 20.2, 64 bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Microsoft OneDrive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste command here

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

Regarding sync, I do not know how to keep a local copy of my OneDrive files that were present on OneDrive before I started mounting the storage on Linux using rclone. However I can, of course place new files in the mount directory I named, onedrive, and these sync to OneDrive cloud.

The install information is here:

https://rclone.org/install/

Successfully updated rclone to v1.55.1. Thank you

Regarding sync, I do not know how to keep a local copy of my OneDrive files that were present on OneDrive before I started mounting the storage on Linux using rclone. However I can, of course place new files in the mount directory I named, onedrive, and these sync to OneDrive cloud. But all files disappear from my local onedrive directory when I disconnect.

I am not sure what you mean as I've asked a few times as to what command you are running.

Are you running a mount command? If so, what command are you running.
Are you running a sync command? If so, what command are you running.
Are you running neither of those and something else? If so, what command are you running.

Thank you for your patience. My answers to your questions:

1. Mount command: sh -c "rclone --vfs-cache-mode writes mount onedrive: ~/onedrive". I have added this command to Startup Applications, to automount my onedrive directory.
  2. I am not running a sync command

A mount is real time and if you have something you copy to your mount, it'll upload to your onedrive. Same thing if you add something to your onedrive, in a few minutes it will appear on your mount.

Yes, that's happening. However, if I disconnect/eject the storage in file manager the local onedrive directory is empty. Files only display there when the storage is mounted. I would like files to download to this directory for offline use.

That's how a mount works.

If you stop it, it disappears. You have to keep a mount running.

OK I understand. But is there a command which will enable me to keep up-to-date local copies of my OneDrive?

You can run a mount to access it.

You can run a sync job from remote to local on a schedule if you want to maintain a local copy.

It's really up to you on what you want and how you want to use rclone. Rclone doesn't run as a sync tool though as that's not it's use case really.

Thank you for the explanation. I will look into the various commands :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.