Rclone mount: Set charset to iso8859-1

Hi this might be a stupid question, but is it possible to set the charset on an rclone mount to use iso8859-1 instead of the standard charset (UTF-8?)? I only ask cause I mount rclone in a vm and shares it over samba to a window computer, and some special swedish letters (Å,Ä,Ö) looks strange eventhough everything still works.

Regards

I have a somewhat similar problem:

When I mount my encrypted amazon drive on macOS, I cannot move nor delete files containing german umlauts (ä, ö, ü) via Finder. Renaming works though. This is not a big issue for me but a solution or a fix in a future update would still be awesome.

I can still work around it:) But I think this issue would be solved by implementing support for modules like --modules="iconv,to_code=CHARSET as described here https://github.com/ncw/rclone/issues/718 .
Or if rclone mount can be made to work on windows now when dokany actually fixed a bug with software written in go. So I do not have to use a virtual machine to mount it anymore.

Hello,

I recommend waiting for @ncw 's take on this, but on my testing I had nothing but trouble with non-ASCII characters in filenames and ACD. Moving to Google Drive seems to have fixed that, tho.

Cheers,

Durval.

I suspect this might be something to do with samba rather than rclone… Can you get samba to advertise that the files are utf-8? This might help.

That is almost certainly a different problem to do with OSX expecting file names to be UTF-8 de-normalized form.

How did the files that you are having trouble with get on the remote? Did you copy them with rclone or copy them into the mount with Finder?

If you could share some of the rclone mount logs with -v showing the problem that would be helpful.

Thanks ncw, chaning the smb.conf to UTF8 seems to do the trick:)

1 Like