Rclone mount buffer not filling when playing large files

OK, I see now. So I'll mark this as a niche enhancement in the ticket and mention @ncw so he can raise the priority.

1 Like

I just realized that there's excessive bandwidth usage, maybe due to these drops?

Received from server: 15554 MB
Sent to Plex client: 4782 MB (Within the same timespan)

I had that discussion with someone before.

With my current pattern, my SSD may run out in 4-5 years based on the use I see. For $70-80, that's fine with me as by that time, I can replace with a much larger drive if I had to.

I used to stream media with local storage that was NAS drive which 5400 slow spinning disk. I have no issues and don't really need full mode in my setup as I have never had any issues before. I use because it adds another layer of protection for the very rare cases I have an internet blip.

Also, if folks happen to stream the same things, I have it in cache so it adds some less downloading.

My setup for my use case has a few important things.

1. I want hands off and never touch
  2. I want it to work 100% of the time (assuming we have power / internet as those are things we cannot control)
  3. I have the same devices that after years of testing, I know exactly what they do and how they perform
  4. I have transcoding needs as I have some family/friends that annoy me and have "not good" devices
  5. I like simple and the less complex/easier the setup, the better

With a PI, I'd have to separate 4K media since I can't transcode. Now, I just let things do their thing and I don't really mess/fuss with my setup as it just works. For me, if that means every 4-5 years I may have to drop $75 on a SSD assuming it actually does wear out, I am game for that.

I usually end up replacing my server every 3-5 years anyway to get better performance / reduction in power consumption / etc. I use that to compare against my time as I consider my time to be a valuable factor as well and I arrive at my current solution which is perfect for me.

Thanks for that. Your points make a lot of sense, and its something I'd want to do if I was in your position.

Then again, you're using Fios, I think? Doesn't take much to saturate a gigabit link huh?

Thanks.

I'm not trying to bring down any device or use case as what works for someone else flawlessly like @asdffdsa is 100% correct for his use case and by all means, he should use it.

It's all about perspective as your perspective is your 100% truth as well so use what works for you.

There's no really right here :slight_smile:

Sometimes that does not always come across in text based posts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.