Rclone keeps exiting without error

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

rclone appears to keep exiting without giving a reason why it has stopped.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.53.1

• os/arch: linux/arm
  • go version: go1.15

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

linux, 32 bit (raspberry pi)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Backblaze B2

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

nohup rclone sync -vv --bind=192.168.1.83 --bwlimit='06:00,5M 23:00,75M' --log-file=/home/pi/rpi-sync/rclone.log /home/pi/nas_backup remoteB2:/danperovichB2NASBackup &

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[remoteB2]
type = b2
account = <removed>
key = <removed>
hard_delete = true

A log from the command with the -vv flag

hello and welcome to the forum,

as per the log, these are the seven errors.
these are not rclone errors.
they are "permission denied" errors all related to .AppleDB
you need to check file/folder permissions and ownership

2020/10/01 12:26:33 ERROR : .AppleDB/__db.002: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: open /home/pi/nas_backup/.AppleDB/__db.002: permission denied
2020/10/01 12:26:33 ERROR : .AppleDB/__db.001: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: open /home/pi/nas_backup/.AppleDB/__db.001: permission denied
2020/10/01 12:26:33 ERROR : .AppleDB/__db.003: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: open /home/pi/nas_backup/.AppleDB/__db.003: permission denied
2020/10/01 12:26:33 ERROR : .AppleDB/__db.004: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: open /home/pi/nas_backup/.AppleDB/__db.004: permission denied
2020/10/01 12:26:33 ERROR : .AppleDB/__db.005: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: open /home/pi/nas_backup/.AppleDB/__db.005: permission denied
2020/10/01 12:26:33 ERROR : .AppleDB/__db.006: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: open /home/pi/nas_backup/.AppleDB/__db.006: permission denied
2020/10/01 12:26:33 ERROR : .AppleDB/log.0000000065: Failed to copy: failed to open source object: open /home/pi/nas_backup/.AppleDB/log.0000000065: permission denied

Okay. But those are individual file errors and rclone moves onto the next file, each time. The end of the log file just STOPS and the rclone process dies with no exit code or messages.

what does 'die' mean?
what exactly happens?

The linux process dies. I run rclone with nohup, as you can see from my original post. I'd expected it to run until all the files (184.170 GBytes) have been pushed up. Instead, the process dies after some time (I haven't analyzed if its the same amount of time each run or not).

Process dies means I cannot find the rclone process running via:

ps -ef | grep rclone

or

jobs -l

and no new logs are generated until I issue the command again.

on my pi, i run into ram issues.

You run into RAM issues with rclone + nohup, or with nohup in general?

rclone.

never used nohup

The challenge with nohup is if you are logging out and/or something else is killing it, you wouldn't see stderr anywhere I believe.

What's in the nohup.out file?

nohup.out is completely empty.

I have monitoring on the box. It looks like the memory completely runs out and the process dies as a result, as asdffdsa suspected:

So, I suppose Rclone would need to be highly tuned to the raspberry pi's capabilities, or the use case is not a good one for the lower-power compute unit.

Right.

Make sure you pipe it into a log and you'll get a stack trace of out of memory in that log if it's running out of memory.

rclone blah blah > somelog.log 2>&1

there are some things you might try.

tweak
transfers
--checkers
--multi-thread-streams
--fast-list=false

might try https://rclone.org/docs/#use-mmap

which pi model are you using?

for what it worth, i know a lot of people who find that the pi is not really that useful as a general purpose computer. that is what i found.
we all go pi-crazy at the concept at first, then reality sets in.

i take a used computer, install a real os with 64-bit support and seems to work.
backup server, plex and so on.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.