Rclone encryption (crypt), really encrypted?

Sorry for the lurid title, I didn’t know how to explain it any better.

I’m currently setting up rclone on my server and have a few questions regarding encryption.
I can choose between the following options, which you have explained on the website also understandably.

How to encrypt the filenames.
Enter a string value. Press Enter for the default ("standard").
Choose a number from below, or type in your own value
 1 / Don't encrypt the file names.  Adds a ".bin" extension only.
   \ "off"
 2 / Encrypt the filenames see the docs for the details.
   \ "standard"
 3 / Very simple filename obfuscation.
   \ "obfuscate"

But it’s still a little confusing for me.

1. If I set “off”, then the filename is displayed with the attachment ‘.bin’, for example ‘Textfile.txt.bin’. Without the passwords, does one have the chance to decrypt this file somehow?
  2. Can I rename or move the files encrypted with “off” in the cloud?
  3. What do I do if at worst, my server is broken. So, there are no backups of the operating system and I have to reinstall everything, including rclone, can rclone read the files again when I enter the passwords?
  4. Related to point 3, should the server be broken, what do I need for rclone to work again as before?

Sorry if the questions have already been answered somewhere in detail, I couldn’t find anything on the fast track and wanted to ensure myself before I load all my data into the cloud and then they are not secure.

Thank you.

The contents are encrypted. Just not the names.

Yes. You can even move the ones that are encrypted file names.

You’ll need either the rclone config or the passwords used to create it. Try it out.

Personally, I’d save the config somewhere. Then you only need that file.

Thank you very much for the answers.
Then I am calmed down, I was just too worried.

Greetings.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.