Rclone downloadspeed inconsistent for Google Drive compared to web

Do gdrive web downloads use a different route than what rclone and drive file stream use? That’s what I don’t understand…
And everything else I do with my internetconnection does not suffer from something like that… and I do quite a lot of traffic intensive tasks… Why of all things should the peering to google be bad? :slight_smile:
And the official statement of my ISP is that they don’t throttle anything.

Edit because I can’t post any more new messages as a new user today:
Yeah, as I said, when I used rclone/drive stream over a vpn the dl speed was at a steady 20MB/s (this was the dl speed limit with my vpn-setup for whatever reason).

So it has to be my router or ISP that’s causing this problem…

Maybe I’ll ask my ISP if they can help me. But I don’t have much hope getting to someone in support that’s competent enough for this problem anytime soon… :slight_smile:

Thank you for your time!

Yeah, the downloads are different from the api downloads.

The google drive API is used for rclone and items like that. Not sure what drive stream uses.

You can check via netstat command and look for port 443.

I’m assuming you are in the same country as your data so US and US Google consumer or something along those lines.

The tests we ran through are identical to each other so the results should be similar with the variations being

• your internet connection
  • your host computer
  • your router

We’ve gone through the logs for all the pieces that we can check through without hitting those 3 items above.

Update:
Was checking my download speed every few days to see if it got better and it didn’t till yesterday. Suddenly I could download fullspeed (40-47mbytes) with rclone and drive file stream without any hiccups. Was happy and thought that maybe my provider fixed it or something. But then today same crappy download as always.

Then I thought really hard about what could have been different that day. And after I tried a few things I remembered that I uploaded a huge file that day that took almost all day (I usually don’t upload anything from my home internet connection). Tried uploading something today and it really worked. While uploading I have constant fullspeed download from gdrive.
It doesn’t matter what I upload, where I upload to, and from which computer in my local network I upload from. As long as I upload something I have stable download speed for gdrive.

I’m really confused now.
Probably something wrong with my router? But I still don’t understand why it only affects gdrive and no other downloadtraffic.

It’s really hard to figure out issues like this unfortunately.

Suddenly working though sounds like either something ISP or something in your local config.

I usually try to remove pieces to get the most simple config and test via that route. So for example, you could go directly from your ISP to your computer and plug a cable into that and see how that works. If that doesn’t work, try another cable, rule out a few cables to make sure that isn’t it.

If it doesn’t work from direct to your ISP, it could either be your cable modem or something ISP related.

There’s no exact playbook to go through since everyone’s setup is so different.

For me, I have FIOS so a fiber line coming to my house and a number of tools to snoop the traffic and see what’s going on as it leaves my house so I can usually figure stuff out a bit easier.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.