Rclone copy entire drive

Before I spends hours doing this only to find out it causes problems, if I use a Google drive remote and run Rclone copy / remote: are there going to be any loops or weird errors created?

E.g. cache directories/files created by the transfer that will then become part of the transfer

You don't want to do that anyway because this command will also copy unwanted folders like /tmp or /proc, as well as all storage devices that are connected to your computer. And indeed, it would cause weird errors because the cache is included.

You'll be better off selecting exactly what you need.

So then I can’t even do rclone copy ~ remote: because the cache is there and rclone copy uses the cache? (Not just rclone mount) ?

Absolutely. I advise you to choose the exact directories you want to backup, like ~/Documents, ~/Pictures, ~/Music etc. and select those with either --filter or a filters file.

you move the cache to another location.

But even with copying ~ the command will still copy lots of useless files, like ~/.cache.

just pointing out that the location of rclone cache can be changed using --cache-dir

1 Like

Might not fit your usecase, but you're really better off doing something like this:

echo "\
/proc
/dev
lost+found/
/sys
/run
/swapfile" > /tmp/exc

tar -zcvf - --exclude-from=/tmp/exc / | rclone rcat remote:/backup/data_$(date "+%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S").tar.gz -v

Use a tool that is meant for creating what you're wanting and stream it to google drive. Would be a LOT faster too as its one big file rather than MANY tiny ones. You can adjust the include/exclude to your liking as it is just 'tar'. It will also capture then permissions and links depending on the tar options.

hi,
imho, i find rcat the scariest command of all.
perhaps i am ignorant as i never used it, and thus never would.

one big file needs just one glitch to destroy it.
"Note that the upload can also not be retried"

• does rcat perform a checksum of tar file?
  • how do you ensure the source matches the dest?
  • when you need to restore the data, does tar store a checksum per file?
  • how would know if there is an error/warning with tar, is there a log file or what?
  • as per the docs, "If you need to transfer a lot of data, you're better off caching locally and then rclone move it to the destination."
    and that is what i do, i create a .7z file on local drive or backup server and rclone move that .7z to the cloud.
  • "The data must fit into RAM", so would that mean that the computer would need more free RAM, than the sum total size of every file combined? sure, i guess that tar would compress the source files.

I mean purge is scarier. :slight_smile:

While that's true, I wouldn't use rclone copy either to copy an entire drive. :slight_smile: Depends on the use case. If someone is really looking for a 'backup', they should be using a backup suite.

It's no different than a copy except it doesn't know the entire file length up front. It's chunked I believe and each chunk is verified. What isn't verified is the streamed data from tar but tar should error if there is an issue. But let's all realize this isn't a 'backup'.

Considering its a stream, you can't. If you'd like to write to an interim file then that's cool.

tar is very good at verifying its data. It is just a tar file. to restore, you can use 'rclone cat to tar' to stream it back down, or just copy the tar file locally and untar it. It's just tar. You could also tee the output and generate an checksum on the fly like this ' tar cfz - files | tee >(sha256sum) | rclone rcat ......' but I really think that is a different question.

If you have the space and time. Then sure?

That's assuming you have enough space to write locally. You don't really need the interim file with shell magic though.

You can produce a log with tar. You can check the return code. You can capture standard out/error. It's like any other command.

Let's all remember, this isn't a backup. This is copying an entire drive remotely. If you want a backup, you should be using a backup utility. Restic is an example.

1 Like

I get your point but I’m not sure this is faster as it eliminates parallel transfers. There’s probably an inflection point with a certain amount of very small files due to the creation time of each new file, but I think in most cases this would actually be slower.

It's definitely MUCH faster. Google drive writes small files very slow. I can typically get around 200 megabits upload on a single stream. Small files will be like 1 per second.

File create is asynchronous and I think does take one second per file as a hard limitation of the platform.

well, :upside_down_face: there is no doubt what PURGE means. simple and pure.
any monkey knows it is a tool of destruction , we monkeys know the consequences of misusing it.

rcat is fuzzy wuzzy, humany, what is a cat, why is there a r in front of it???
humans think, I like felines, so I must like to rcat my data away to the cloud.
and then the human wakes up to realize it owns a dog named butch...

BTW, here is how you can actually verify the tar if you wanted.

dell-xps:~$ tar -zcvf - MATH416 | tee >(md5sum>sum)| rclone rcat robgs:out.tar && cat sum
MATH416/
MATH416/416.pdf
MATH416/Examination.pdf
dec9a869194a467c4290297bfdc574a3  -
dell-xps:~$ rclone lsjson --hash robgs:out.tar
[
{"Path":"out.tar","Name":"out.tar","Size":200,"MimeType":"application/x-tar","ModTime":"2021-07-08T13:21:53.514Z","IsDir":false,"Hashes":{"md5":"dec9a869194a467c4290297bfdc574a3"},"ID":"1TSiGC2uqDCdU-Tz3Ug7IqKqCjbm1bLMl"}
]

dell-xps:~$ rclone cat robgs:out.tar | tar -zxvf -
MATH416/
MATH416/416.pdf
MATH416/Examination.pdf

And here's some statistics on rclone copy vs streaming it with rcat. Coincidentally, I had to use it today. :slight_smile:

rcat method:
tar -zcvf - .kodi  | tee >(md5sum>sum)| rclone rcat robgs-cryptp:kodikeep-test.tar.gz -v --stats=5s
2021/07/08 09:35:20 INFO  : 
Transferred:   	    1.540Gi / 1.540 GiByte, 100%, 21.741 MiByte/s, ETA 0s
Transferred:            1 / 1, 100%
Elapsed time:      1m13.0s

find .kodi | wc
  18641   18830  999227

copy method (I stopped it after 5 minutes at 6% done but it hadn't even checked the full amount yet, so its more like 3-4%):
rclone copy .kodi robgs-cryptp:kodikeep-test --checkers 16 --transfers 16 -v --stats=30s -P
Transferred:      253.350Mi / 1.171 GiByte, 21%, 849.531 KiByte/s, ETA 19m
Transferred:          673 / 10705, 6%
Elapsed time:       5m6.5s
Transferring:

I would convert ~ to the full path since not all tools support that.

Be advised that RClone has an exclude syntax. You could exclude a specific list of directories like the cache. I do that for my Mac .DS_Store files and something else if I remember.

I agree that copying the OS is wasteful.

Also — some S3 buckets have the ability to save versions in case you need a more full “backup” solution. I would check out BackBlaze or Wasabi. They have different pricing models. Wasabi may not have S3 lifecycle automated management for versioning but is on their roadmap. I use Wasabi so not as familiar with BackBlaze but see it a lot.

RClone does a lot of validation including checksums. It will also keep the Destination copies at approximately the same timestamp. Again, not all destinations support all of what RClone does.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.