Rclone config location_constraint diff to region for S3 Sydney

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

rclone config has for 'Region to connect to:'

10 | Needs location constraint ap-southeast-1.
\ "ap-southeast-1"
/ Asia Pacific (Sydney) Region

but 'location_constraint' has:

10 / Asia Pacific (Singapore) Region.
\ "ap-southeast-1"
11 / Asia Pacific (Sydney) Region.
\ "ap-southeast-2"

So what should Asia Pacific (Sydney) be? ap-southeast-1 or ap-southeast-2?

Bug?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.49.3

• os/arch: darwin/amd64

• go version: go1.13

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

macOS X 10.14.6

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Amazon S3

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone ls remote:mailserver

2019/09/23 18:18:28 ERROR : S3 bucket mailserver: Failed to update region for bucket: reading bucket location failed: AccessDenied: Access Denied

status code: 403, request id: DC0BCA1AD0B5C055, host id: +Ru6+N09j2FAc72qSkS7MehQG54ET6Emy1oaaFiDQZhxeXUUFqoHHVTUnD8odgiX5P2pb9ceuMg=

2019/09/23 18:18:28 Failed to ls: BucketRegionError: incorrect region, the bucket is not in 'ap-southeast-1' region at endpoint ''

status code: 301, request id: , host id:

So 'rclone mkdir remote:mailserver' does not give an error, but gets created with wrong region.

A log from the command with the -vv flag (eg output from rclone -vv copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone ls remote:mailserver -vv

2019/09/23 18:33:27 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.49.3" starting with parameters ["rclone" "ls" "remote:mailserver" "-vv"]

2019/09/23 18:33:27 DEBUG : Using config file from "/Users/jlbrown/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"

2019/09/23 18:33:29 ERROR : S3 bucket mailserver: Failed to update region for bucket: reading bucket location failed: AccessDenied: Access Denied

status code: 403, request id: F4D35DF1D7262518, host id: AyJ9IaiA8VNn09OlIwjP4Up7v59qze8o0Ck67q/coP7WYXLwYHvCQTZ+unAjCtJDNW1UG4j4MMo=

2019/09/23 18:33:29 Failed to ls: BucketRegionError: incorrect region, the bucket is not in 'ap-southeast-1' region at endpoint ''

status code: 301, request id: , host id:

More info

Remote config

[remote]

type = s3

provider = AWS

env_auth = false

access_key_id = XXX

secret_access_key = YYY

region = ap-southeast-1

location_constraint = ap-southeast-1

acl = private

From the docs: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/general/latest/gr/rande.html

ap-southeast-2 looks like the right choice!

Fancy sending a pull request to fix?

Note also that you can type whatever you want not just the numbers so you can fix this when entering the config.

Hi ncw. Not sure how to do the pull request - not a programer.

Note also that you can type whatever you want not just the numbers so you can fix this when entering the config.

That's what I did - changed it to -2. The error message I was getting re the bucket was because my bucket name was not globally unique.

I think your problem is because number 10 in each list referred to different things? Is that correct? I think you wanted 10 for region and 11 for location constraint.

No, the issue is that it says in the 'Region to connect to:' section

\ "ap-southeast-1"

But Sydney is actually "ap-southeast-2"

I see what happened - choice 11 is what you wanted. That is what the ASCII art is supposed to indicate, but maybe it isn't clear enough!

/ Asia Pacific (Singapore) Region
   \ "ap-southeast-1"
11 | Needs location constraint ap-southeast-2.
   \ "ap-southeast-2"
   / Asia Pacific (Tokyo) Region
12 | Needs location constraint ap-northeast-1.
   \ "ap-northeast-1"

The config menus can be a little disorienting I think.
It's not that it's too hard to figure out the intent, but more so that it's so easy for your eyes to mix up when it's so much compacted text.

Even though it would make the list longer, it might be worth considering putting a space in between just for readability of it. I personally wouldn't mind needing to scroll a little more of there was clearer groupings. Although, a space-saving compromise might be possible if there is a way to either bold or color every other grouping. No idea how much support for that there is in command-line though, probably not much, if any.

Agreed!

That would be easy to do. Bold or colour would be possible too fairly easily I think.

I did experiment with this text user interface library a while back which you can try here. Try rclone config. It isn't finished but gives you an idea!

https://beta.rclone.org/branch/v1.49.0-090-gad38432c-tui2-beta/ (uploaded in 15-30 mins)

Very cool demo. That would surely be able to solve it too - but IMO I think you solve the problem more than good enough by just increasing the visibility with some formatting. Maybe selecting things with an arrow would help some people who have never used command-line before but... then again they probably try mouse-clicking the options lol.

The key-bindings for selection are horrible though - (HJKL)l for naivation NCW? Did you have a stroke? :stuck_out_tongue: P (arrowkeys) (WASD) or at least (IJKL) would be my suggestion. (yes I realize it's probably just a quick test - I'm just pulling your leg Nick :smiley: )

Yes that is probably my feeling too... a bit of highlighting would go a long way!

:wink: HJKL are vi keys for cursor movement so will be very familiar to vi users. .The keyboard arrows work though don't they? I get this on linux

Type of storage to configure.
Enter a string value. Press Enter for the default ("").
Use the arrow keys to navigate: ↓ ↑ → ←  and / toggles search
Storage?
    fichier
    alias
    amazon cloud drive
    s3
  ▸ b2
    box
    cache
↓   dropbox

--------- Help ----------
Backblaze B2

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.