Rclone.conf is full of "NULL"

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Rclone just stopped working. I checked "rclone.conf" and is just full of NULL

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.51.0

• os/arch: windows/amd64
  • go version: go1.13.7

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

Why this happened? Can I recover someway my old rclone.config file?
Thanks

hello,

i do not know why that happened, we have experts that should stop by to help.

if you do not have a backup, then you will need to re-create the config file.
the file would not be in the recycle bin, as it was not deleted, but seems to have been over-written.

you might want to update rclone.exe before re-creating the config file.

Restore from a backup or recreate it.

I suspect what happened is your computer crashed shortly after rclone wrote it's config file. The config file never got written properly.

Does that seem possible?

I thought rclone used a write-and-swap for atomically saving the config file. I guess that doesn't stop the underlying file system from having issues but I am surprised.

Nope, rclone worked for months. Then this happened..
The question is: Why?

Why would most likely be in a debug log.

How/where can I find it?

It's the template:

A log from the command with the -vv flag

You should use 3 backticks to begin and end your paste to make it readable. Or use a service such as https://pastebin.com or https://gist.github.com/

Paste  log here
``

I'm confused.
Isn't this use to get the verbose log from a command? Es. I execute a copy command, for some reason it doesn't work, I add the -vv flag to get a verbose log and understand
I think this is a different situation, I don't have a command to execute, the problem is in my config file

You need to recreate your rclone.conf. There is no way to bring it back.

Run your commands with -vv and if rclone is causing the issue with the rclone.conf becoming null, it would in the debug logs.

If something else is doing it (virus scanner / mean person / solar flare / bad block on a disk), it wouldn't be shown in the debug logs and it's outside of rclone.

Well, rclone worked with the same commands for months, I don't think now this is the problem..

Well, I have got Kaspersky and it always asks me before taking actions, and I got it before rclone so..
I am the only person that uses my pc
Checked my disk, 0 bad blocks..

I am recreating it, and then I'll make a backup..

Well, I recreated my rclone.conf but I have got a question
I remember that I added some useful "flags" in the .conf file one was "server_side_across_configs = true" but I don't remember if I found other useful ones
Can you think of any other useful flags thanks?
These are the scripts I run daily

cd C:\Rclone

rclone mount "Roba - ccsf:" X: --vfs-cache-mode writes --cache-dir "D:\Programs\ProgrammiNonInstallati\Rclone\VSFCache"

cd C:\Rclone

::Backup

rclone move "D:\Video\Gameplay" "Streaming - ccsf:\Gameplay" --checksum --drive-stop-on-upload-limit
rclone sync "D:\Music\320kbps" "Musica - ccsf:\320kbps" --drive-stop-on-upload-limit
rclone sync "D:\Roba" "Roba - ccsf:\Roba" --filter="- /{RRROBA}/" --drive-stop-on-upload-limit
rclone sync "D:\Roba\RRROBA" "RRROBA - ccsf2:\RRROBA" --drive-stop-on-upload-limit
rclone sync "D:\Roba\RRROBA" "Crypt - ccsf:\RRROBA" --drive-stop-on-upload-limit

::Server-Side Backup

rclone sync "Musica - ccsf:" "Musica - swccd:" --checksum --drive-stop-on-upload-limit --track-renames
rclone copy "Musica - ccsf:" "Musica - ccsf2:" --checksum --drive-stop-on-upload-limit --track-renames

rclone sync "Roba - ccsf:" "Roba - swccd:" --checksum --drive-stop-on-upload-limit --track-renames
rclone copy "Roba - ccsf:" "Roba - ccsf2:" --checksum --drive-stop-on-upload-limit --track-renames

rclone copy "RRROBA - ccsf:" "RRROBA - swccd:" --checksum --drive-stop-on-upload-limit --track-renames

rclone sync "Streaming - ccsf:" "Streaming - swccd:" --checksum --drive-stop-on-upload-limit --track-renames
rclone copy "Streaming - ccsf:" "Streaming - ccsf2:" --checksum --drive-stop-on-upload-limit --track-renames
rclone copy "Streaming - ccsf:" "Clippini - ccsf:" --checksum --drive-stop-on-upload-limit --track-renames

hi,
for backups, you might want to use https://rclone.org/docs/#backup-dir-dir
and i use it to create a forever forward incremental backup by using a date/timestamp for the archive folder.

rclone sync c:\path\to\folder remote:backup --backup-dir=remote:archive/2021.02.16.09.20

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.