Rclone bisync erroring out with `--links`

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Using rclone with OneDrive (business), to keep a copy of stuff I am working on available on the cloud for some colleagues.
Because my local stuff uses symbolic links, I am using rclone with --links to have them converted to special rclonelink files on OneDrive.

While most of my modifications are done locally, occasionally I may need to fix stuff operating directly on OneDrive. Because of that, I would like to use the experimental bisync command.

Unfortunately, bisync does not seem to operate correctly together with --links.

Here is my flow that results in a critical error:

• first I run rclone bisync -l -1 stuff Ondrive:stuff
  • on subsequent runs I leave out the -1
  • between runs I apply changes (typically on the local stuff)
    If the changes involve symbolic links, on the subsequent rclone run, the program errors out with errors similar to:
2022-11-03 19:42:29 ERROR : -          Path1 file not found in Path2       - 20-21/01_EXAMINED/Progetto.rclonelink
2022-11-03 19:42:29 ERROR : -          Path1 file not found in Path2       - 20-21/01_EXAMINED/commenti_progetto.md.rclonelink
2022-11-03 19:42:29 ERROR : Bisync critical error: path1 and path2 are out of sync, run --resync to recover
2022-11-03 19:42:29 ERROR : Bisync aborted. Must run --resync to recover.

Will try to get verbose output in the future if needed.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.60.0

• os/version: arch 22.0.0 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 6.0.6-1-MANJARO (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.19.2
  • go/linking: dynamic
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

OneDrive (business)

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone --exclude-if-present .nosync --links -P bisync OneDrive/LabIngInfII OneDrive_unibo:LabIngInfII

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[OneDrive_unibo]
type = onedrive
token = ...
drive_id = ...
drive_type = business

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Not available yet: in all the occasions I had the issue I had to immediately recover with manual actions as someone was waiting for the correct data in OneDrive. I will try to get a full log asap

This sounds like it is a bug...

Exactly what sort of changes? Are you replacing a file with a symlinked file? I could see that going wrong.

If you could make a very small reproducer for me that would be great, and if it used the local backend as both source and destination that would make it very easy.

So a sequence of steps so I can reproduce the problem here - thank you!

(I think this is likely a bug in bisync but this is the first step)

This seems enough to trigger the issue:

mkdir TestOD
cd TestOD
touch foo
ln -s foo bar
cd -
rclone -l sync TestOD OneDrive:TestOD
rclone -l bisync -1 TestOD OneDrive:TestOD
cd TestOD
mkdir NewPlace
mv foo bar NewPlace
cd -
rclone -l bisync --force TestOD OneDrive:TestOD

From the test case, do you expect it to be a bug? Should I open an issue on the tracker?

Sorry to post again, without any actual news about the issue.

Being new to rclone and its forum and bug tracker, it is unclear to me if I should I open an issue on the bug tracker, or if it is enough to have it reported here. I suspect this is the case, as a courtesy to other users who might encounter the issue and will avoid double posting if they find the issue on the tracker.

Thanks in advance for hinting at the correct action.

Thanks for the repro - I missed that!

I think open a bug on the issue tracker with instructions on how to reproduce would be the best way forward.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.