Question about directory existing in Google Drive

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Hi. I am consolidating video files from multiple local drives into one folder "/backup/Videos" on Google Drive. I used "sync" the first time which obviously deleted most of my stuff (my bad), so I'm starting over with "copy" instead. I had left the last drive copy intact on Google Drive before starting over with my main drive.
rclone reported:

2021-03-26 13:11:19 NOTICE: Shakespeare: Duplicate directory found in destination - ignoring

My question is:
If multiple local drives (that all need to be copied into the same remote folder /backup/Videos) have different files in the the otherwise identical folder "Shakespeare", will rclone ignore the content of the folders because a folder with the name already exists?
If yes, is there a way to have it check by existing files instead of folders even if it takes longer?
I did a quick Google on the question and did not find a scenario like mine, and I could not find anything going through the rclone parameters.
Thanks!

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.53.0
os/arch: windows/amd64
go version: go1.15

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows 8.0, 64 bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone copy --bwlimit "8M" --progress "g:\Users\<username>\Videos" remote:backup/Videos

You need to not have duplicates.

rclone dedupe the destination

Google is a backend that allows duplicates so it's a bit confusing as your error is about the destination and not any source.

Maybe I didn't explain it well...

Let's take this scenario - I have these files:

D:\Videos\Shakespeare\File1.avi
E:\Videos\Shakespeare\File2.avi
G:\Users\MyUser\Videos\Shakespeare\File3.avi

So I run these 3 commands one after the other:

rclone copy --progress "D:\Videos" remote:backup/Videos
rclone copy --progress "E:\Videos" remote:backup/Videos
rclone copy --progress "G:\Users\MyUser\Videos" remote:backup/Videos

Each of the video folders will contain a folder called Shakespeare, but there will be different files in them. I need them all to go into the same Shakespeare folder on Google Drive.

Does this make sense?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.