Possible to restore files removed by rclone?

I screwed up during the setup of a remote Team drive. Actually pointed the new remote to an existing drive with data. Did a test sync and ended up deleting a lot of files. Fortunately most of those files were from a windows share that we had copies of and can just do a copy or full sync to get them back but there’s about 5 files that were created in the drive after the sync and the trash apparently doesnt store anything deleted by the API.

Anyone know of a way to retrieve this? I’m currently on hold with google support but wondering if anyone has done this before.

nvm, seems the deletion was earlier enough that we can do a restore through the google admin portal.

Now, by default rclone should put deleted data in the trash for google drive. Is that not working for team drives for some reason? Which version of rclone are you using?

that’s what i was reading about as well but it probably has something to do with me being 2 versions behind hahaha… still running 1.37

@ncw
I just tested with v1.39 and can confirm rclone sync does trash the deleted files instead of permanent deletion.

I just checked the changelog and that was put in in 1.38 :frowning:

I’m sorry that you’ve lost data - a similary story to yours is what made me change the default to putting stuff in the trash.

I recommend testing a sync for the first time with the --dry-run flag…

yeah that was a fail on my part for not doing --dry-run. Anyway, was able to perform a restore from the previous day and all seems good.

Whew! Glad to hear that!