Plex with rclone mount - possible to auto update/partial scan?

@omanko @Animosity022

Few things…

1. If everything is on one server, I’d suggest using Sonarr/Radarr to download and rename instead of file bot. You can use the built-in Sonarr/Radarr integration to trigger a plex scan (it’s under the “Connect” feature in Sonarr/Radarr) when a new episode/movie is downloaded. The Plex integration works in a way that it will only scan the folder that was changed by Sonarr/Radarr (so for example, a new episode of a tv show, Plex will only scan the Season folder). It happens very quickly so new episodes after they are moved with Sonarr/Radarr will end up in Plex within a minute or so.

2. If you have different servers for downloading and Plex, you can use plex_autoscan, but I’ll shamelessly plug my new program plex_rcs (https://github.com/stokkes/plex_rcs). Plex_rcs works by monitoring the rclone cache log and when it detects a cache expiration notification (new file on Google Drive), it will trigger a scan immediately of the folder that was modified, so shows should appear very quickly there as well. It integrates with Plex directly so it compares the folder that was just modified by rclone against your Plex library, matches the section and updates only the folder in question. Configuration is pretty simple compared to plex_autoscan.

In my setup I have 2 servers (downloader / plex) and I use rclone cache on both. Within about 5-10 minutes of downloading something on my downloader, I see it on my remote Plex server using plex_rcs. This is pretty good if you have 2 servers.

1 Like