Permaseed with rclone?

Is that even possible?

I’ve got rclone mounted and I can play Plex via it… the file downloads and then streams - as you all know.

Now, is that possible with torrents? I create a torrent by selecting the file in the gcache folder, leave it up on Deluge, and when someone becomes a peer the file downloads from gsuite and I’m able to seed it?

Torrenting is not a great use case for cloud storage as it picks pieces of the file to share.

You could probably use the cache backend and give it enough storage to keep things local, but it would be somewhat chatty and not very efficient imo.

I personally just use local storage for my torrents and remove after a period of time.

Thanks @Animosity022, as I suspected unfortunately.

Well, we have a new option/software to make on our hands then! Seed the cached file, if a peer connects the software downloads the file to 100% in cache and you’re able to seed it - once a certain amount of time without seeding passes (customisable, from 2h to 24/48h?), the file is deleted from your disk!

I would say easy peasy, but I don’t know the first thing about coding haha

Or just use the cache backend which already does that.

rclone mount -vvv --allow-other --allow-non-empty gcache: /home5/doloresh4ze/gcache

Is this command enough to use the cache backend? I don’t understand that bit, would it be the same thing as watching someone via Plex?

I’m interested in this conversation
This is the settings I have been using.
Works well enough and I’m able to saturate my upload connection. Although I don’t want that so I put the bandwidth limit in there.

Biggest issue is that it eats up a lot of ram potentially.
I’m seeding 20TB but it is across 6 trackers so imagine part of that is being multipled in the clients view

[Unit]
Description=TDrive Daemon
After=multi-user.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=user
Group=user
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone --allow-non-empty --allow-other mount --log-file=/home/user/logs/mountv.txt --log-level DEBUG gdtm: /mnt/tdrive
–uid=1000 --gid=1000 --rc
–size-only --dir-cache-time=20m
–bwlimit 20M
–vfs-read-chunk-size=64M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit=0 \

ExecStop=/bin/fusermount -uz /mnt/tdrive
TimeoutStopSec=20
KillMode=process
RemainAfterExit=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

The cache backend is configured by your rclone.conf and not the command line so not sure what your config actually looks like.

The cache backend is a little slower than the vfs in terms of streaming with plex, but that’s just a few more seconds for start time.

That’s a fast way to get your account banned by Google or them removing unlimited and raising price. As other commented torrent request random chunks of the file hundreds or thousand times. So yes you can do it but it’s terrible. You might seed to one person but as Google sees it your torrents requests downloads for hundreds of thousands times just for that person.

Even someone who tried to share it not via torrent gets their account banned pretty fast as there seems to be unwritten limit for how many times the file can be viewed / downloaded / shared with a number of people.