OneDrive: rclone getting throttled and pacer sleep time skyrockets to >5m

hi, not sure your exact use case but as a possible workaround.

reduce the number of api calls by use filtering; tho there can be caveats.
--max-age 24 - would only sync files where the source file modtime is older than 24 hours.
if the source file modtime is older than 24 hours, rclone will not check onedrive and thus not use api calls.

Correct, there is no better way to do it - and it can be lightning fast as you see in the above example posted by Jojo.

The native Windows OneDrive Client does the same as rclone when it syncs for the first time and at approximately the same speed – and it may get throttled too. Pay attention to the number next to “Processing changes” in your OneDrive Client extended view – the throttling is quite easy to spot once you know the pattern to look for. The client and File Explorer will remain responsive, but content will be out of sync, thus higher risk of sync conflicts.

I got myself into trouble when I did a series of aggressive rclone throttling tests, because my Windows OneDrive and iOS OneDrive got throttled too – almost blocking me from cross device file synchronization in a couple of days…

The limit isn’t due to the technical design of OneDrive or rclone, both can support speeds like the above example from Wasabi.

I see the rate limit/throttling as a purely commercial decision, to keep the price of OneDrive (the server park) down and push the most demanding (professional/power) users over to other more expensive (and better suited) alternatives. It is the same concept for Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

If you do a first-time sync with a lot of small files, then you hit a (somewhat dynamic) limit on file creations per second. There is a similar limit on deletions.

If you do a first-time sync with large files, then you hit another (somewhat dynamic) limit on bytes uploaded per second. There is a similar limit of downloads.

If you do a sync without changes, then you hit yet another (somewhat dynamic) limit on directory content lookups per second.

OneDrive enforces the limits by slowing down the responses to you, which sometimes result in a queue of requests building up at their servers. If this queue is too long for too long time, then OneDrive tells all the clients connected to that account (or tenant) to stop sending further requests for a while. This is the “429/Too Many request” response you have seen.

It is worth a try, but the outcome heavily depends on the characteristics of your data and the balance between checking and transferring.

It has no positive effect for my daily usage.

No, unless you understand the OneDrive REST API in depth and really want to check if rclone is sending optimal requests.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.