New option for rclone rc

I start my mounts as a service with the rc option, so I will be able to edit them while running.

rclone mount M: /mnt/shared/fusemounts/suptest/ --allow-other -v --fast-list --buffer-size=16M --vfs-cache-mode writes --dir-cache-time 172h --vfs-read-chunk-size 16M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 512M --vfs-cache-max-age 5000h --vfs-cache-poll-interval 10m --umask 0 --vfs-write-back 5m --cache-dir /mnt/shared/media/cache/ --vfs-cache-max-size 0.5T --rc --rc-user fancyname --rc-pass fancypassword --rc-addr :55701

The problem is, the rclone mount will not start at all if the port is blocked

2021/02/11 20:49:45 INFO  : Using --user fancyname --pass XXXX as authenticated user
2021/02/11 20:49:45 Failed to start remote control: start server failed: listen tcp :55701: bind: address already in use

In this case I would rather like rclone to start with a random port as fallback instead of not starting at all.

I believe the default is fine (rclone exits if blocked), but I wish there was a command line option like

--rc-use-random-port-if-blocked

or something similar. WDYT?

Cheers, whiteloader

You can use :0 to mean choose a random free port which almost does what you want?

Thank you for pointing that out. That is not bad at all. I still like my original idea, but I can understand if this is not at the top of your list :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.