New feature --buffer-size

I was also pretty sure its per file request, its best @ncw clarify it for us.

Will this help for mounts or only copy?

Anyone notice improvement with plex using this?

It works on mounts too.
Iam testing it atm with 1GB buffer.

Its working for you the lastest beta?

How do you check if its working?

check ram usage of rclone
iam looping this
#!/bin/bash

proc=$(pgrep -f acdcrypt:)
echo “$proc”
while pgrep -f “acdcrypt:” > /dev/null
do
result=$(ps --pid $proc -o %cpu,%mem,cmd)
echo “$result”;
sleep 1
clear
done

exit

If its on ram, I think I can have a problem… Raspberry only has 1gb RAM, but yesterday it worked fine with 100M

It works OK in my tests. How do you see it not buffering? BTW it will use a lot less memory than before!

That is a great idea, but unfortunately it doesn’t work like that. Seeking will throw the buffer away and start again :frowning:

The buffer is per-file and in RAM

It can be used with copy too. Copy has always had this buffer, I just applied it to mount as well and made a parameter to adjust it.

I make:

vnstat -l -i eth0 -ru

ANd I see how its downloading the video. Yesterday I saw how the speed was so high until arrive at 100M, and then it continues downloading at “stream” speed.

But today with the new beta it starts at “stream” speed from the beginning.

Another thing is yesterday I paused the video and I saw how when I continue playing, the speed was 0kbps because it “used” the buffer to play.

Is there any option to use some folder for buffer? Raspberry has only 1gb RAM :frowning:

It will go to swap file after you are out of ram.

A relatively small buffer should make quite a difference. An HD stream shouldn’t be more than 1 MB/s so a 64 MB buffer will give you a minutes buffering which should be enough to see out most network glitches.

Tomorrow I will try with smaller buffer.

What happens if you put 500M for example and you only have 10M of free ram?

I don’t need buffer really, only to avoid “high” ping and continuos stops of stream of 1sec or 2sec to load the next frame.

I tried that test just now (useful tool vnstat!)

I saw what I’d expect - it downloaded at 20 Mbit/s until the buffer was full, then it dropped to 3 Mbit/s.

When I paused the video I saw the rate drop to zero and resume to stream speed when it finished.

So I would say according to my tests the buffer is working

rclone will swap, which is probably undesirable…

Mean! I’m going to try this on my 4K drive and see if I can get them to stream without buffering

I just tried with 50M and it works fine. But I see that when I stop the stream, it doesn’t release RAM, this was the problem with the lastest tries, I had RAM “full” because the does’t release.

I don’t understand the sentence: “rclone will swap, which is probably undesirable…”

If you dont use the - - bufer-size flag, it uses some default value or just not uses buffer?

Thanks!

16MB is default one, but I assume if you set it to 0 then it wont be used at all.

Thanks :slight_smile: In my case is enough with 16M, I only want to avoid the continuous “loading” video.