Recommended Dropbox (Formally Google Drive) and Plex Mount Settings

That really depends on you.

For me, I need read-write so I can delete files automatically and replace things. If you don’t need read-write, you can always make it read-only.

Damn somehow this made my start times 3-4x slower lol
16mbps movie Plexdrive: 3sec Rclone: 12sec
Tested various movies with same pattern.On second playback it load instantly pretty much but meh, I guess I’ll just stick to plexdrive 5.

I always say stick with what works for you.

For me, I start up in 1-2 seconds and it’s much faster than plexdrive for me and many folks that sent me messages.

Happy to assist if you share what you are using and more details on your setup.

plex is pointed to unionfs folder, used the script exactly as you posted. I can see it works fine lots of people here, no idea why it doesn’t for me. I don’t have an SSD so that might be a thing.

Are you mounting with -o sync_read on the unionfs mount?

1 Like

No, When I tried that with rclone it wouldn’t let me. I will try it on unionfs.

rclone mount already included the sync_read as a default option.

If you use unionfs or mergers, you have to pass the sync_read option when mounting or things become out of order.

I would use something like:

/usr/bin/unionfs-fuse -o cow,allow_other,auto_cache,sync_read /local/movies=RW:/media/Movies=RO /Movies
/

No luck. Like you said, I will stick with what works. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

As I like to understand what’s different, could you share your plexdrive command to mount and exact rlcone mount?

Can you do a quick test of mediainfo and let me know your results? Basically pick one movie that has some size to it and you can run on your plexdrive and rclone mount directly. Just skip unionfs so we can start as simple as possible.

For me on rclone /GD is my mount and I have a 25GB test movie I was using without any auto_cache so it grabs the chunks each time for the compare:

felix@gemini:/GD/Radarr_Movies/Unsane (2018)$ time mediainfo Unsane\ \(2018\).mkv  | grep blah

real	0m2.631s
user	0m0.097s
sys	0m0.029s
felix@gemini:/GD/Radarr_Movies/Unsane (2018)$ time mediainfo Unsane\ \(2018\).mkv  | grep blah

real	0m2.445s
user	0m0.078s
sys	0m0.056s

real	0m2.443s
user	0m0.100s
sys	0m0.033s

Those times should be fairly consistent and repeatable barring any huge jumps in your internet traffic or things like that.

With Plexdrive, I see:

root@gemini:/PDDecrypt/Radarr_Movies/Unsane (2018)# time mediainfo Unsane\ \(2018\).mkv  | grep blah

real	0m2.912s
user	0m0.059s
sys	0m0.053s
root@gemini:/PDDecrypt/Radarr_Movies/Unsane (2018)# time mediainfo Unsane\ \(2018\).mkv  | grep blah

real	0m3.173s
user	0m0.098s
sys	0m0.051s

real	0m3.434s
user	0m0.105s
sys	0m0.058s

So generally slower, but not really that noticeable.

If you can capture a slow start time and run the rclone mount with debug, I’d love to see that log file as it should be very apparent why it’s slower.

For rclone I literally copied your script commands. for plexdrive5 i use this

/usr/sbin/plexdrive mount -o allow_other --refresh-interval=1m --chunk-check-threads=6 --chunk-load-ahead=4 --chunk-load-threads=6 --chunk-size=5M --max-chunks=400

I did a test on a bluray remux 32gb
rclone real 14sec plexdrive 11.38

What are the advantages of --bind? Rclone is running on my unraid server 172.30.12.2 that has a static address - is it still worth doing? Thanks

Possible to run that mediainfo with a debug or -vv flag and share the log? I’m really curious to see what it is doing.

I use bind because I have multiple IPs on my server and I want to make sure my rclone traffic goes out the proper interface and does not go out my VPN’ed interface.

How do I run the debug? running with -vv and saving to a log just gives me the media info

Thanks - don’t think I need this

You’d run the mount with a --log-file /somelocation/rclone.log with either -vv or you can use --log-level DEBUG and just post the log file in paste bin after you execute the media info on a file.

Does this mean you set folder above as folder monitored by Radarr to track downloaded media and Radarr write directly to that folder?

Yes, I use a folder like that for my Radarr movies that I have monitored.

Once I move them out of Radarr, I just drop them in ‘Movies’

Is radarr write directly to that folder which I assume rclone mount, why do you need unionfs or mergerfs?
I don’t use radarr or other fs but looking more ways to automate things. Currently my setup is very simple rclone vfs with rclone move scripts

I do a mergerfs setup now with an cron’ed rclone move that happens overnight since there is still a bug/issue with the cache-writes and Sonarr/Radarr locking up.