Recommended Dropbox (Formally Google Drive) and Plex Mount Settings

Reinstalled my mediaserver using your guide/setup @Animosity022, and WOW! Another planet for me regarding speed and loading times. Quick question regarding the “upload to cloud script”: What happens if Sonarr/Radarr is downloading/writing to the /data/local when this script starts?
Thank you so much for sharing and your efforts in this forum!

rclone would notice the file was being written too and not upload it.

It would catch it at a later time.

edit: the issue appeared to be with my samba settings in openmediavault. If I disable asynch io, files play smoothly.

For some reason, I cannot get the same performance as plexdrive with your scripts. I made sure I’m using the latest version of rclone. I get instant buffering when playing a file directly using Media Player Classic in Windows over a samba share hosted on the system running the rclone service. Both machines are connected via ethernet.

Here is a log: https://anonymousfiles.io/IIjqa1n7/
Intel® Core™ i7-2675QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
Linux omvi7 4.19.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.16-1~bpo9+1 (2019-02-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Your player opens and closes the file a lot and that generally doesn’t work well.

egrep  'ONLY|Flush' rclone.log
2019/03/23 20:11:22 DEBUG : Anime.Movies/Mary.and.the.Witchs.Flower.2017/Mary.and.the.Witch's.Flower.2017.1080p.Blu-ray.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1DTS.H-X.「メアリと魔女の花」.mkv: Open: flags=O_RDONLY|0x20000
2019/03/23 20:11:23 DEBUG : Anime.Movies/Mary.and.the.Witchs.Flower.2017/Mary.and.the.Witch's.Flower.2017.1080p.Blu-ray.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1DTS.H-X.「メアリと魔女の花」.mkv: Open: flags=O_RDONLY|0x20000
2019/03/23 20:11:24 DEBUG : Anime.Movies/Mary.and.the.Witchs.Flower.2017/Mary.and.the.Witch's.Flower.2017.1080p.Blu-ray.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1DTS.H-X.「メアリと魔女の花」.mkv: Open: flags=O_RDONLY|0x20000
2019/03/23 20:12:00 DEBUG : &{Anime.Movies/Mary.and.the.Witchs.Flower.2017/Mary.and.the.Witch's.Flower.2017.1080p.Blu-ray.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1DTS.H-X.「メアリと魔女の花」.mkv (r)}: Flush:
2019/03/23 20:12:00 DEBUG : &{Anime.Movies/Mary.and.the.Witchs.Flower.2017/Mary.and.the.Witch's.Flower.2017.1080p.Blu-ray.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1DTS.H-X.「メアリと魔女の花」.mkv (r)}: >Flush: err=<nil>
2019/03/23 20:12:00 DEBUG : &{Anime.Movies/Mary.and.the.Witchs.Flower.2017/Mary.and.the.Witch's.Flower.2017.1080p.Blu-ray.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1DTS.H-X.「メアリと魔女の花」.mkv (r)}: Flush:
2019/03/23 20:12:00 DEBUG : &{Anime.Movies/Mary.and.the.Witchs.Flower.2017/Mary.and.the.Witch's.Flower.2017.1080p.Blu-ray.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1DTS.H-X.「メアリと魔女の花」.mkv (r)}: >Flush: err=<nil>
2019/03/23 20:12:10 DEBUG : &{Anime.Movies/Mary.and.the.Witchs.Flower.2017/Mary.and.the.Witch's.Flower.2017.1080p.Blu-ray.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1DTS.H-X.「メアリと魔女の花」.mkv (r)}: Flush:
2019/03/23 20:12:10 DEBUG : &{Anime.Movies/Mary.and.the.Witchs.Flower.2017/Mary.and.the.Witch's.Flower.2017.1080p.Blu-ray.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1DTS.H-X.「メアリと魔女の花」.mkv (r)}: >Flush: err=<nil>

You could try the cache backend but my use case is Plex as that player works properly :slight_smile:

oh wait, I think the issue had to do with my samba config and not the options in your config. If I disable asynch io in the smb config within my distro (OpenMediaVault), the instant buffer problem is gone and files play smoothly.

Thanks for your work on this. I’ll edit my original post with what worked for me.

I tried searching around to see if I could find the answers first, apologies if you’ve already addressed these questions.

Do you have sonar/radar upgrade the media it downloads? Such as a 720p version came out before a 1080p. Does this work with the mergefs mount if sonar and radar are pointed at that folder?

Upgrades/downloads all happen via my standard /gmedia mount which is a mergerfs mount. Writes go local and are uploaded overnight. It doesn’t matter if it’s a fresh download or an upgrade.

Thank you very much, this helped me a lot setting everything up!

If it helps someone in the future:
For the systemd .mount file: if your mount directory is not in / (root) but for example /home/user/mount your .mount would be named home-user-mount.mount

This doesn’t seem to be related to any of my settings or my use. I’d start a new thread rather than jump into this one.

You’re right, I’ll delete and start a new thread.

OK, I was just reading through the thread and I haven’t been using my own google API key. I don’t see that as an option for rclone crypt. Is that right?

Link is in the first post in the thread as I use the vfs backend with encryption. You can use with cache as well as it’s on the top level of your GD config.

Hi Animosity!
Quick question (since you seem to be the expert).
I’ve read through a ton of posts, including this one and looked at your github. I’m just trying to mount Google Drive optimally for Plex, no encryption. Based on reading a ton of threads here, I’ve setup the remote, and using commands:

–dir-cache-time 48h
–buffer-size 512M
–vfs-read-chunk-size 16M
–vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 2G

First I setup with a cache remote as well, but then read through more posts including yours stating vfs is better… So this is where I’ve landed. But then I see in your gmedia-rclone.service on github you haven’t mentioned vfs… So a little confused :slight_smile:

Again, just looking for a basic mount, no encryption. I’m on a symmetrical gigabit connection. Server has 8 GB memory, and a 500 GB SSD, used solely as a media server.

Make sure to create your own API key.

VFS is just the standard/default backend as I’m just using the majority of the defaults so nothing needed.

Just use the mount straight from my service file and test it out. No need to tweak around anything else :slight_smile: and just replace with your remote name. Encryption or non encryption doesn’t really matter.

Thanks for the reply!
Yes forgot to mention, as per your post, I did create my own API key.
I’ll use your settings directly and see what happens… I’m on Windows, so gotta adapt, but should be straight forward.
Thanks again!
EDIT: Removed unmask as that seems to be linux based, and rc since I’m not running headless.

I seem to trip my limits here daily. I’ve been trying to trace down what would be tripping it. I’m using my own API endpoints for rclone. I don’t have a lot of traffic going on my plex server. The only thing I can think of doing it is sonarr/radarr doing their scans and then the daily plex scan. I just changed the gmedia-find to use the /usr/bin/find instead of the rc in hopes that this helps by having the contents all cached locally. Just curious if anyone else has been running into this? I know I’m not streaming 750GB a day and my daily upload is just a few GB nothing crazy.
EDIT: Also my sonarr/radarr is on a different VM than plex is because I was having issues with things getting hung up so I split things apart.

I’d suggest starting a new thread and posting your information.

thank you @Animosity022

Hey, I’ve switched to your mount setup from Plexdrive. I’m running the mount inside a docker container (Plexdrive was in a container before as well) which is exposed to a Plex docker container. For some reason, starting times have increased by a lot. I’m talking about 30-60 seconds for something to start, up from 1-3s.

Do you have any idea where this is coming from?

I am noticing this as well. It started maybe a week ago?