Recommended Dropbox (Formally Google Drive) and Plex Mount Settings

Love to help but I unfortunately have never used a Synology NAS so would not be sure offhand. You can always try to maybe post on their forums and ask.

Entware is the answer, install guide;

benba@nas:~$ ls /volume1/@Entware/opt/sbin
accessdb fsck.ext2 fsck.ext4 iotop mergerfs mkfs.ext2 mkfs.ext4 parted route tree
e2fsck fsck.ext3 ifconfig ip mke2fs mkfs.ext3 mount.mergefs partprobe screen vnstatd

benba@nas:~$ mergerfs --version
mergerfs version: merge-with-ng-573-gebfd464f-dirty
FUSE library version: 2.9.7
fusermount version: 2.9.4
using FUSE kernel interface version 7.19

How to use it;

2 Likes

I F****** LOVE YOU @benba ! You have no idea! I've been searching for a while for a solution or something similar to mergerfs and couldn't find anything and going crazy. Such a lifesaver! If you have Venmo or something I can throw a few bucks your way.

You're welcome, throw your bucks to ncw for his great work on Rclone :wink:

3 Likes

If you have a question regarding my settings, please use my thread.

If you have a question on a different guide and are having issues, please do not use this thread and create something else rather than hijacking this one.

So sorry.
I have created another thread a day ago but there was no reply, so I was hoping to get some answers from this thread.
Apology.

Ok this is helpful but way too geeky. Where can I get the exact steps to set this up so I can watch mkv files that are in my google drive via the Plex app on my Samsung TV?

Hi and welcome.

My goal isn't to write a tutorial / step by step for the novice.

The goal of the post is to provide details for technical folks to help them.

If you have a question in regards to my settings, please ask.

If you have a separate question, please post a new topic rather than hijacking my thread :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hello @Animosity022, thank you for creating this guideline of sorts for rclone-vfs + mergerfs. I am quite new to this whole thing and the thing is I am having problems with hard linking the files that radarr/sonarr has downloaded to the local directory. Basically I pointed everything (radarr/sonarr/plex server) to the MergerFS folder (Local folder + GDrive mount). Do you have any recommendations for me? :frowning:

Feel free to make a new post and just share your settings and how you mergerfs configured and I am more than happy to help!

We just need to set your setup and what's going on as it should work.

Will do a new post, thank you so much!

Every couple of months I like to come back this post to make changes to my configs for optimization. This time however I am having a hard time following along as a few switches that I thought you used are no longer in use? I have done some searching but I cant seem to find out why pieces of my mount are no longer used. I have 12GB of RAM on my machine and am on a gigabit connection. Any thoughts on what I should remove or add?

[Unit]
Description=rclone cache
After=network-online.target
Wants=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount plexcache: /home/plex/gdrive/plexcache \
   --allow-other \
   --dir-cache-time 72h \
   --buffer-size 1G \
   --drive-chunk-size 32M \
   --timeout 1h \
   --rc \
   --vfs-read-chunk-size 64M \
   --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off \
   --umask 002 \
   --bind 192.168.2.120 \
   --log-level INFO \
   --log-file /home/plex/gdrive/utilities/logs/rclone.log
ExecStop=/bin/fusermount -uz /home/plex/gdrive/plexcache
Restart=on-abort
User=plex
Group=plex

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

I leave those as defaults are those are just range requests to download a range of data. So having it small or larger doesn't impact much.

I don't upload to my drive so I don't use this. I use it in my upload script though and since I have memory, I use 1G lately albeit it doesn't really impact much.

You can really make this a huge value as having it small doesn't really buy much.

I find very little difference in buffer size as the only time this really comes into play is direct play and it may provide a little bit of help for spotty connections, but it's only from your plex to rclone.

Many devices have small buffers in Plex so having this large really does little. If it's working for you, I'd leave it though :slight_smile:

So I am a total noob at all of this, don't suppose anyone could tell me just how to start this configuration to optimise rclone for plex?

This thread is really for questions related to my settings. If you are asking for something else, I'd suggest to start a new thread and I am sure someone would help out.

Totally understand, I do want to implement what you have done but I dont know how to!! Would actually pay to get someone to configure rclone for me at the moment!!

Are you on any of the main trackers or IRC at all?

Hey,

I really try to understand why stuff like caching seems Important, but then in the Configuration you wrote

" This is a sample cache configuration. I use this just for testing cache items and not something I currently use.
I wouldn't recommend the plex integration as it slows things down imo and you aren't saving much in terms of API hits."

So Is it technically enough to make a simple Script to mount Gsuite when starting the Server?
I seem to miss what's important and what's not...

I don't use the cache backend as it makes my setup slower. If you are asking for a cache config, you can make a new post and someone can help out if you can describe what you are trying to do.

If you have question related to one of my settings that I use, let me know and I am happy to help.

Oh, I think I worded it awkwardly. Sometimes my english fails me, since I'm not a native speaker, sorry...

So I'm trying to Automount my Gsuite to my Ubuntu Server on start-up.

I keep reading about API hits and how that can be resolved: by caching most of the stuff.
Now your config says, that you're not using the cache option. Don't you hit this API Limit?

Wouldn't something like "rclone mount Gsuite:/lol /mnt/lol" be enough?

Don't get me wrong I like that you do the effort for the Community and I do appreciate it very much.
I seem to miss the point if a one liner is enough or not. I just try to keep stuff and scripts as simple as possible.