Much better transfer speed using onedrive on linux than windows

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm getting slow / unreliable transfers when using rclone on windows 10 with onedrive as explained at Getting multiple "client connection force closed via ClientConn.Close" errors with OneDrive

Now i tried the same command with same files, with same network (via wifi) on linux and results are drastically different.

On windows, the average speed is around 20 to 50kb/second with a lot of errors and in linux is 2MB/seconds flawless.

Interesting previously windows was exhibiting transfers as good as linux.

Seems not a rclone issue because i tried the old rclone version executable (from the time windows was fast) and now is slow. Probably something changed in network stack after upgrading windows

Just wondering if someone is having same behavior and if there's something i can do to diagnostic or fix this issue (aside from using linux :wink: )

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)


Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows 10 64bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)


The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone sync -vv --log-file log-%1.txt --max-duration 9h --check-first --transfers 2 F:\roms\%1 OneDrive-luizamericop:emuroms/%1

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

See log from linked issue

Things to look at on Windows

  • anti virus - try disabling it briefly
  • network adaptor drivers
  • is the machine overloaded (swapping)?

Many thanks for the tips.

I'm using windows defender. I will try to disable in next try.

I have also vmware Network adapter (from vmware player) installed. Looking for it also

The computer has 16GB ram. Most of the time, uses only 8GB.

I don't think there is a fundamental reason for it to be slower with Windows.

Let us know if you find something

I tested in other windows 10 machine and worked fine. Uploaded 2GB in 14 minutes.

This machine also have vmware player but a different version (15 vs 16 in affected machine)

Marking as resolved since there's nothing specific to rclone or windows 10. Somehow my setup messed with the network stack


about that network stack, sometimes windows update messes up a particular setting

check this post out, i have help a few windows users with a tweak.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.