Mount remote as removable drive in linux?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

A question, rather than a problem. I'm hoping to backup a raspberry pi using the included "SD card copier" app, which can only copy to another removable drive. I was therefore wondering whether it would be possible to mount a remote as removable storage in Linux (Raspbian).

As I understand it (but I could be wrong), SD Card Copier is a low block-level copier. It doesn't work at the filesystem layer.

So if your root SD device was /dev/mmcblk0 and your remove device was /dev/sda then it would do a block by block copy from the SD to the removable disk.

So what you could do is something similar from the command line, using the dd command.

If your SD card was /dev/mmcblk0 and you rclone mounted your cloud storage at /mnt/cloud (for example) then you could do something like dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/mnt/cloud/my_backup bs=32M (the "bs" option is an attempt to make it a little fast; I don't know what good values would be!). Now my_backup is an exact copy of the SD card.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.