Mount on Google Drive got much slower lately

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Hi! Since one week or two, I noticed that mounted folders on Drive just got terribly slow. I used to be able to play HD videos through rclone mount very easily on the exact same setup, but now it buffers every seconds even for very low quality files. Oddly enough, downloading through rclone (without mounting) seems unaffected by this issue and it's still very fast. I noticed my upload speed got much slower than what it used to be at peak hours although this may not be related and just be my ISP. It is less of a concern anyways.

I don't think this is a bug in rclone since there wasn't any update recently and I wasn't able to track down a release that doesn't show these symptoms. Have you experienced similar troubles on drive lately? I saw this post that relates a very similar issue to mine, but the solution of setting up a cache isn't very satisfying. I'd rather prefer understanding why it no longer works.

Thanks!

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

$ rclone --version
rclone v1.50.2
- os/arch: linux/amd64
- go version: go1.13.4

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version:	1.4
Distributor ID:	Arch
Description:	Arch Linux
Release:	rolling
Codename:	n/a

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive + crypt

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount crypt-drive:[redacted]

A log from the command with the -vv flag (eg output from rclone -vv copy /tmp remote:tmp)

I redacted some names and started the log only at the moment I started to read the file in VLC. Tell me if you need more info: https://pastebin.com/GzPtkzkb

Did you update your kernel version recently? Could be this bug: Performance issue with linux kernel 5.4.0 & rclone mount

You will need to update to the latest rclone beta version to fix the issue.

1 Like

Yep, that must be it. Latest beta works perfectly and I feel sorry for not having tried that first! Thank you so much.

Looks like this kernel upgrade had its share of breaking changes (also experiencing some graphic freezes which is a known bug)…

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.