Measuring speed rclone mount

Hi guys,

I am extracting some files directly to a mounted rclone mount and it appears to me that it is uploading quite slow thus I am wondering how I could measure the upload speed?

Correct me if I’m wrong but afaik using rclone debug doesn’t work here.

Any hints is appreciated, thanks!

I use nload on linux to see how much bandwidth goes through my network adapter. Most of the times it is like 850-900Mbit/s.

1 Like

That is quite useful and easily understandable, thanks! :slight_smile:

I personally would not do any extractions/work on a rclone mount. I do it somewhere else on a local disk and then rclone move things over as that’s going to generally be faster than doing a lot of write IO on the mount.

Can you share more details on what you are doing and what parts are slow?

That is a pretty manual approach or do you use any sort of script to automate it?
Extracting to the mount is pretty convenient for my use-case, after extraction I just have to start FileBot and it’s done.

Well, the parts get downloaded to the local storage and are then extracted to the mount. My command is as follows:

rclone_1.42 mount --allow-non-empty --allow-other --dir-cache-time 8760h --poll-interval 0 --vfs-cache-mode writes --vfs-cache-max-age 0m --vfs-read-chunk-size 64M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 2G --drive-use-trash=false upload: /media/cry

I used nload to check and apparently it is uploading at about 200Mbit (that’s ok for me) but it takes quite a while to finish the extraction.

I assume rclone does some kind of checksum and that could take some time given that it is read from the mount. Could this be the reason?

You can use --stats 1m with mount and it should show you stats every 1 minute.

Where are you uploading to? If s3/b2 then rclone needs to calculate a hash first. Otherwise not.

Didn’t know about that flag, will give it a try and see if it helps.

I am using Gdrive only.

Rclone doesn’t need to do a checksum before uploading stuff to drive.