List command not showing "NOTICE" in log file for unencrypted remote

When running the list command

rclone ls [remote] --crypt-show-mapping -vv --log-file=[log_file]

on a encrypted remote everything goes fine, it outputs the file list on screen and I get something like this in log file:

DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.40-089-gef3bcec7-about" starting with parameters ["........"]
DEBUG : Using RCLONE_CONFIG_PASS password.
DEBUG : Using config file from "........"
INFO  : Encrypted drive '.........': Modify window is 1s
NOTICE: teste0.txt: Encrypts to "227.QBPB8.QUQ"
NOTICE: PASTA1/paSTa 1.2: Encrypts to "170.fQiQ6/138.yjbcj 0.1"
NOTICE: PASTA1/teSTe1.txt: Encrypts to "170.fQiQ6/164.Docdo9.DHD"
NOTICE: pasta2/teste2.txt: Encrypts to "75.KvNOv1/229.SDRD3.SWS"
DEBUG : 10 go routines active
DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.40-089-gef3bcec7-about" finishing with parameters

But when I run on an unencrypted remote the list of files appears correctly on screen (terminal) but not in the log file:

DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.40-089-gef3bcec7-about" starting with parameters ["........"]
DEBUG : Using RCLONE_CONFIG_PASS password.
DEBUG : Using config file from "........"
INFO  : S3 bucket .......: Modify window is 1ns
DEBUG : 4 go routines active
DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.40-089-gef3bcec7-about" finishing with parameters

“NOTICE” entries do not appear.

I tried with and without the option --crypt-show-mapping (which does not apply in this case, but I think Rclone just ignore it)

Am I doing something wrong?

Note: only difference: the first (encrypted) is in Dropbox, and the second one (unencrypted) is in Wasabi.

--crypt-show-mapping which produces those NOTICE logs only works if you are acting on a crypt remote, otherwise it doesn’t know how to encrypt the file names.

So if you want to see the mappings for the second remote you’ll have to wrap it in a crypt remote.

Yes, I understand this, so I tried without the --crypt-show-mapping option.

Sure, but that’s not the point. I would like the list of files of the unencrypted remote in the log file, as in the encrypted output.

rclone ls outputs the list of the files to stdout which you could direct to a file if you wanted. It doesn’t put them in the log.

Ah understood. The NOTICE entries in the log are primarily to show the “crypted <-> unencrypted” mapping, not the file list itself.

Ok, I’ll adjust the scripts. Thanks!

1 Like