Job identifier in console window

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I like to monitor progress in the console window (using -P) during long transfers but from the information in the console it's not always easy to tell which job is running. Is it possible to add a line in the console window to identify the job? I was hoping a special flag plus text string might do it, but I can't spot any likely flag in the list...

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Koofr

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste command here

ordinary copy or sync command

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

Your version is from the dinosaur era so you may want to update that.

You've not included any information on what you are running so it's tough to offer any advice.

No config
No command
No log

I didn't provide all that because the question does not relate to something I have been doing in particular. It applies to any generic command and is really about the general functionality of the program.

hi,

please update rclone to latest stable, v1.56.2, and post the output of
rclone version

Without any example, I still have no idea what you are running so while it may generic, there's not enough to really help out and you seem hesitant to share info so I wish you good luck.

Unhelpful. The question simply relates to any command at all that involves -P and whether is it somehow possible to insert a text string into the console window so a job can be identified. No need for forensics, and I don't want to waste your time either.

I was just hoping to be pointed to something in the documentation that I might have missed. I've already spent the best part of an hour looking through it for this one little thing (and at my age, not knowing how much longer I have left to live, I consider that a tragic waste of life...).

Just to add, the rclone documentation is too verbose - examples are better than descriptions. We have 1001 other pieces of software to learn how to configure and only have certain amount of time to devote to the task.

is this what you are trying to do?

1 Like

One can actually use arbitrary text as identifier and add it as a prefix to every line of rclone output simply by piping rclone's stderr to awk like here:

$ rclone copy |& awk '{print "desired text: ",$0}'
desired text:  Usage:
desired text:    rclone copy source:path dest:path [flags]
desired text:
desired text:  Flags:
desired text:        --create-empty-src-dirs   Create empty source dirs on destination after copy
desired text:    -h, --help                    help for copy
desired text:
desired text:  Use "rclone [command] --help" for more information about a command.
desired text:  Use "rclone help flags" for to see the global flags.
desired text:  Use "rclone help backends" for a list of supported services.
desired text:  Command copy needs 2 arguments minimum: you provided 0 non flag arguments: []

hi, thanks

rclone version -vv |& awk '{print "JOB:Unhelpful: ",$0}'
JOB:Unhelpful:  2021/11/03 11:05:13 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.56.2" starting with parameters ["rclone" "version" "-vv"]
JOB:Unhelpful:  rclone v1.56.2
JOB:Unhelpful:  - os/version: ubuntu 20.04 (64 bit)
JOB:Unhelpful:  - os/kernel: 5.10.60.1-microsoft-standard-WSL2 (x86_64)
JOB:Unhelpful:  - os/type: linux
JOB:Unhelpful:  - os/arch: amd64
JOB:Unhelpful:  - go/version: go1.16.8
JOB:Unhelpful:  - go/linking: static
JOB:Unhelpful:  - go/tags: none
JOB:Unhelpful:  2021/11/03 11:05:13 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.56.2" finishing with parameters ["rclone" "version" "-vv"]

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.