Is there an equivalent command to rclone obscure password for encryption?

yes, i understand,

it is your command, so why not run it yourself..

When running the command above for an encrypted remote, it returns the error "2020/10/18 07:26:01 Failed to create file system for "[REDACTED]": failed to decrypt password: base64 decode failed when revealing password - is it obscured?: illegal base64 data at input byte 3.

What does it mean?

if you want to use a password with rclone, you must use this command.
https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_obscure/

that link i shared with you, at the end, there is a script i wrote, take a look at it.

Does the configuration file need to be obscured first for the command to work?

that script does not use a config file.

Sorry @asdffdsa. I'm confused. Reading through the details in the link, it suggests that I need to run the obscure command. So, if I compose the command as follows, I'm unsure at which point do I call the obscure command?

rclone.exe copyto --stats 10s --progress --log-file=rclone_log.txt --log-level DEBUG --crypt-filename-encryption=off --crypt-directory-name-encryption=false --crypt-password=PASSWORD --crypt-password2=SEED remote:/ /path/to/files/on/local/hard/drive

Do you mean rclone obscure password where password is the credential for the configuration file? If yes, would the command below?

rclone obscure password | rclone.exe copyto --stats 10s --progress --log-file=rclone_log.txt --log-level DEBUG --crypt-filename-encryption=off --crypt-directory-name-encryption=false --crypt-password=PASSWORD --crypt-password2=SEED remote:/ /path/to/files/on/local/hard/drive

why not use my script, it shows you how to the the obscure command.

@asdffdsa, it isn't not wanting to use the script. I am attempting to understand the construct of the command such as if I don't have access to the script I am able to invoke it.

It isn't clear to me if the command below is correct to copy an unencrypted version of a file in an encrypted remote.

rclone obscure password | rclone.exe copyto --stats 10s --progress --log-file=rclone_log.txt --log-level DEBUG --crypt-filename-encryption=off --crypt-directory-name-encryption=false --crypt-password=PASSWORD --crypt-password2=SEED remote:/ /path/to/files/on/local/hard/drive

sorry, i am not understanding what you are trying to do.

you have a crypted remote and have a crypted file in that remote.
so you want a local copy of that file, that is not crypted?

Yes, that's correct.

I want to test that both the encryption password and seed I had selected during the configuration is used as part of the command to copy an unencrypted version of the file.

the script i wrote in that post will let you test the password and seed you used in the config file.
and to decrypt or encrypt any file using that password and that seed.

@asdffdsa, if I attempt to decompose the script, does the command below achieve the same thing? I am attempting to run it without the script.

i think we are going in circles, so i am going to drop off now.

i already shared a script that will do what you need

if you want to know if your script does what my script does, then run your script and compare the results.

1 Like

Thanks @asdffdsa. Not sure why you think we are going in circles since I'm attempting to clarify if the command resembles the script. Alternatively, without using the script, what would achieve the same requirement?

Guys, I'm really confused at the operation of rclone copying an unencrypted file.

For example, I was able to copy an decrypted version of the file from Microsoft OneDrive using the command rclone.exe copy --stats 10s --progress --log-file=rclone_log.txt --log-level DEBUG {encrypted_remote} {destination}.

Is this expected? If yes, how can I test the first password (encryption) and the second password (seed) if it is already copying an unencrypted version of the file?

when rclone copies an encrypted file from a crypted remote to a non-crypted destination, rclone will decrypt the file during the copy process.
when rclone copies a unencrypted file from a non-crypted source to a crypted remote, rclone will encrypt the file during the copy process.

can you post

• the config file, redacting id and passwords
  • the exact command you ran with the debug output.

@asdffdsa, thanks. I wasn't aware that the encryption and decryption occurred on the fly without needing to specify additional flags. That's helpful to know.

The configuration details are as follows;

[OneDrive] type = onedrive token = {REDACTED} drive_id = {REDACTED} drive_type = personal

[ODEncrypted] type = crypt remote = OneDrive:Data filename_encryption = standard directory_name_encryption = true password = [REDACTED] password2 = [REDACTED]

[ODEncryptedTest] type = crypt remote = OneDrive:Data filename_encryption = standard directory_name_encryption = true password = [REDACTED] password2 = [REDACTED]

The command is;
rclone.exe --transfers=8 --checkers=8 --stats 10s --progress --bwlimit 8M --checksum --log-file=rclone_log.txt --log-level DEBUG copy ODEncrypted: c:\temp\

The log output is

2020/10/21 07:11:51 DEBUG : Using config file from "C:\\Users\\Ryan\\.config\\rclone\\rclone.conf"
2020/10/21 07:11:51 INFO  : Starting bandwidth limiter at 8MBytes/s
2020/10/21 07:11:51 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "ODEncrypted:"
2020/10/21 07:11:51 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "OneDrive:Data"
2020/10/21 07:11:52 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "c:\\temp\\"
2020/10/21 07:11:52 DEBUG : fs cache: renaming cache item "c:\\temp\\" to be canonical "//?/c:/temp/"
2020/10/21 07:11:52 DEBUG : Local file system at //?/c:/temp/: Waiting for checks to finish
2020/10/21 07:11:52 DEBUG : test.txt: Sizes differ (src 15 vs dst 14)
2020/10/21 07:11:52 DEBUG : Local file system at //?/c:/temp/: Waiting for transfers to finish
2020/10/21 07:11:54 INFO  : test.txt: Copied (replaced existing)
2020/10/21 07:11:54 INFO  : 
Transferred:   	        15 / 15 Bytes, 100%, 9 Bytes/s, ETA 0s
Checks:                 1 / 1, 100%
Transferred:            1 / 1, 100%
Elapsed time:         3.2s

2020/10/21 07:11:54 DEBUG : 5 go routines active```

sure, the crypt remote can be confusing.

so now, do you have any more questions?

I believe I have a better understanding now. Thanks for all the help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.