Is there a way to check available bandwidth to a certain remote?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

When running a Rclone copy or move command I can manually limit the bandwidth that Rclone uses by hardcoding the limit e.g. --bwlimit 0.625M sets bandwidth limit to 5Mbps. I would like to know if there is a way to make this process dynamic. For example, if the available bandwidth to a certain remote is 10Mbps the I want Rclone to use 70% of whatever is available at the time. In short, dynamically scale the --bwlimit parameter based on available bandwidth.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.53.3
- os/arch: linux/amd64
- go version: go1.15.5

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Ubuntu 20.04

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

GCS and local network

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone --gcs-service-account-file GCS_SA_KEY \
--transfers=2  --checkers=4 \
--bwlimit 0.625M \   #  set to 5Mbps here
copyto SRC :gcs:DST -vv

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

I am dynamically setting remotes using a Python script

PS. If there is no inherent way in Rclone itself it would be great if someone could point me to a Pythonic way to figure the available bandwidth.

There is no way in rclone to do anything like that.

You'd be best to shape at your source as many routers have the ability to do Quality of Service as that's really where you'd want to handle that.

Many of the freebies (pfSense/OPNSense) do this with some configuration. I use Untangled at home these days as it's a bit smoother/simpler for my setup.

1 Like

That is an interesting idea. Potentially rclone could discover if it is maxing out the upload and back off a bit.

However you can manually control it now - if you add the --rc flag then you can use

To set the bandwidth dynamically.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.