I need help with rclone mount settings

Hello,

I'm just a general person using Windows. Rclone mount wasn't very good with Windows, so I use rclone mount with Gdrive in a small Linux box, which has 10TB of disk space, and then I set up a samba server and mount it as Network Drive on my Windows Workstation.

I have 1Gbps connection, however, copying from/to the rclone mount Linux is very slow. Every time I copy the files to rclone box, it instantly uploads the files to Google drive and forces my windows explorer to wait for one by one files to finish as well instead of just caching the data in the HDD and do a background upload. I also noticed that the rclone mount didn't cache any files with my 10TB local disk space. I've tried around with vfs cache, but I still couldn't get it right. Here's my current rclone mount command:

rclone mount gd-cache: /home/rclone/GDRIVE --allow-other -vvv --buffer-size 4G --dir-cache-time=168h --log-file /home/yui/rclone.log --attr-timeout=1s --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-read-chunk-size 128M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off

And my rclone config for the cached Google Drive:
[gd-cache]
type = cache
remote = GD22:VAULT
chunk_size = 128M
info_age = 300h
chunk_total_size = 500G
workers = 20
tmp_upload_path = /home/rclone/upload_tmp
tmp_wait_time = 30m

I'm sorry if I got it completely wrong or messed up the config.

hello and welcome to the forum,

i run mounts on mutiple windows computers every day, works well.
perhaps something about the setup on the windows comptuer?

if there a specfic reason you are using a cache backend?
https://rclone.org/cache/#status

Hello, thank you for replying to my help topic.

I think the cache backend will help me to cache the files to the HDD. It doesn't look like it is the case. I have large software and ISO store on GDrive, Some I often use, some I rarely use. I want the backend to cache the often use one at least.

I used to use rclone mount with WinFSP (with the help of windows service). Sometimes it crashes, and my workstation freeze. I also don't have a lot of free space for caching on my workstation, that's why I moved it to a Linux box with some get up mdadm on it.

what is the total size of data in gdrive?

About 20TB, I have a total of 10TB on the linux box. It isn't for streaming video though. Mostly large ISO and compressed file.

If you try the latest beta you'll find this problem is fixed so it should work a lot better for your use case just using --vfs-cache-mode full.

Thank you for the tip, I'll try it now.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.