I need help creating versioning with crypt to dated folders

That would be restic!

I did look at making a borg backend for rclone which would save needing a mount. I think it is possible, but the protocol is only documented in the source code so it would be quite a bit of work.

I would offer my help, but I wouldn't even know where to begin, tbh.

My instinct is that borg's ability to backup via ssh might allow something like rclone serve sshfs to work without much reverse engineering at all...

That was my idea. However borg uses another running borg over ssh rather than using sftp so rclone would need to understand the protocol borg uses to speak to itself and emulate that.

borg on wsl is experimental software, not to be used for production.
the OP should not use borg to backup data.

It wouldn't corrupt or otherwise create an unusable backup. It might fail to run, but that's the worst that would happen. Python runs just fine on WSL on its own.

Experimental doesn't mean "do not use" by any means.

i tend to run paranoid, to see the word "Experimental", and no one should trust it and "It might fail to run, but that's the worst that would happen" does not inspire confidence. nothing worse then backup software that will not run when needed to restore data.

for software its own website clearly states "has not been tested much yet", should not be trusted for production usage and not to be relied upon for backups.

the OP is looking for a reliable, trustworthy solution for backups on windows.
rclone can do that but borg, at this time, on windows, cannot do that.

IMHO, that best advice for the OP, given the OP, at this time, is a novice user, on synology, he should use the software that is designed, installed, written and supported by synology.

I agree with you. Especially when it comes to backup software.
What I should have said is that while WSL is experimental, it is supported. I would not use unsupported backup software.

experimental = beta/dev/nightly
unsupported = possibly broken, with no intent to fix

1 Like