I don't understand how all this works

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

So I have 2 boxes. One is a vps off-prem with sonarr on it (to keep track of tv shows obviously) and I download on that same box. From that box I upload to Google drive. Then on-prem I have a windows 10 server with Plex installed on it. Not only is Plex installed but I also have Google File Stream setup on it. I have 2 libraries on the Plex -- movies, and tv shows. Google file stream is set as the "g" drive. That all being said, recently I keep getting an API ban. My Google drive is from a University that I ended up not going to. It's unlimited. I don't care if I lose it. Anyway, all that aside, it was suggested that I use rclone. I can't find any guides on how to set this up in this particular usecase. Can someone point me in the right direction please :pray:?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

windows 10 x64

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive / Filestream through uni.

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)


A log from the command with the -vv flag (eg output from rclone -vv copy /tmp remote:tmp)


The API ban is like happening as a result of improper Plex settings rather than a problem with Google filestream. That said - rclone is (IMO) better than filestream and much more flexible, so by all means switch. Just don't expect it to solve the problem unless you also check your Plex settings. Specifically, API "bans" usually result from one or more of Plex's scanning routines that are far too aggressive for regular automatic use on a cloud-drive. Anything that needs to fetch more than basic attributes should be run very sparingly, and preferably manually.

I would recommend you post some screenshots of the two relevant pages involving Plex scan settings.
While I ma not an expert on the exact settings you will need for Plex (see animosity's thread on recommended settings for that) I can probably give you some preliminary advice as to what settings are likely to cause problems.

Oh and also - there's not really such a thing as an API "ban". The worst you can do is exhaust your quota, which is usually very temporary or at the absolute worst something that resets overnight. This is very very unlikely to risk your account in any way - but you will want to fix it so it performs better.

If you want to get rclone set up then the only thing you need to change in this setup is swapping out filestream for an rclone mount. Since you don't specify otherwise I will assume you have done nothing yet so get started like this:

Download here:
Or on Linux, just run this:

curl https://rclone.org/install.sh | sudo bash

Then go set up your Gdrive remote. Instructions here:

The final step would be mounting the Gdrive remote to your G:
But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Come back for more help once you have finished the two first steps.

I will have to go install it. Unfortunately, right now i am prepping for thanksgiving, so I will revisit this and let you know once I've made it that far (most likely Friday). That being stated, here are my update settings. I did change them by unchecking to update automatically as you will see. Hoping that will curb it.

and here is the second one.

Ok, no problem. Just update here when done and call @thestigma if needed.

Those settings look like they should not be a problem now - although you have probably disabled more here than is strictly needed. This is good for testing at least. You can fine-tune this later by talking to people who actually use Plex and can give you specific details.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.